PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Gas mileage issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2008, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas mileage issue

Hello everyone! New member here. I've been a PT lover ever since they first came out, but for economical reasons, I have never been able to buy one......... until last month!!! I am now the proud owner of a '05 Cruiser touring edition!!!! My only question is why is my gas mileage so horrible? Anybody have any ideas why, and what can I do to improve it? After market products? Anything?
Old 19 Feb 2008, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas mileage issue

Welcome to the forum. If you use the search function on the top of the page you'll see that this is probably the most asked question on the forum.

Since you bought your cruiser used, the best thing to do for better mileage is a good tune-up, proper inflation of the tires and a light foot on the accelerator pedal. You didn't say what you are getting for mileage but if you topped 20 mpg consider yourself good to go.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 19 Feb 2008, 06:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you find this forum very resourceful and entertaining as I do.
PT Cruisers are not known for their gas mileage, I do not know why people insist they are?

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 19 Feb 2008, 09:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: Gas mileage issue

Yup! Gas mileage is a side issue only!
I am selling the 2006 NA soonercruiser, getting about 28 mpg highway; and got a 2006 GT vert, that may eventually get around 24 highway!!! But, what a great, fun automobile!!
Old 20 Feb 2008, 06:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome & enjoy !!
Old 20 Feb 2008, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I recently have seen dealers ads for 2008 PT Cruisers for $9999 with a tag claiming 30 MPG. I don't know why they would do this when we all know that new you'll get 16-18 until you have a couple of thousand miles on it and then maybe 24-26 highway MAX.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Feb 2008, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I just checked out the rest of the topics and I see that the gas mileage question is the most asked question! Sorry for starting another thread on the same subject. Hey Crewzin, I haven't checked how much mpg's I get, but I know that I barely get 200 miles to the tank. As far as proper inflation goes, does this also apply if I don't have the factory tires on? I have some nice wheels on there wrapped with some 215/35R18 tires.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 09:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Gas mileage issue

Unless the tires say to do otherwise by "warning", I try to carry about 36 psi. Yes, a little harder on ride....but, also rolls easier.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

36 psi, huh? Thanks for the advice sooner. I'll try that.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilldeath View Post
I have some nice wheels on there wrapped with some 215/35R18 tires.
Hate to tell you, but wide profile tires have more rolling resistance, so they don't help your mileage.
I would think with those you could even go to 40 psi.
Change the air filter, plugs and wires (get Crane wires www.raceandstreet.com because stock wires are crap).
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles