Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Seat Back Will Not Lock - '03 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2008, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Seat Back Will Not Lock - '03 GT

I removed the rear passenger rear seats and put them in the garage when I went out for the day. When I returned and looked at the seats, I was elated to find out that my kid decided to strap the larger rear passenger side seat to a skateboard and run it down the driveway. Examination of the seat showed quite a few scratches from the test runs and junior's allowance may be taking a big hit.

When I try to put the seat back into place, the bottom latches lock into place, but the backrest does not line up with the u-shaped bar is required for the seatback latch to engage.

The bar is about 1/4" inch lower than the latch opening on the seat.

I can't let the kids sit in that seat because it would not be safe in an accident, so if any has an idea on what part needs to be replaced or bent back into place, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Seat Back Will Not Lock - '03 GT

Kids ...aren't they fun? Mine's all grown up and living in Virginia with his own two boys. Now he knows what it's all about.

Anyway, back to your seat. U-shaped bar is lower than the latch so seat back has been stretched out of shape somehow. Take it back out so you can get a better look at the mechanisms that allow the seat to fold, that's probably where it's bent or mutilated to allow the seat back to be pushed outwards causing it to be too high for the latch bar. There's no adjustment that I can see so something is bent or broke. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Seat Back Will Not Lock - '03 GT

Kids...gotta love 'em

Thank you for the suggestion.

There appears to be a black L-bracket toward the bottom of the seat that might be the problem. I don't see a way to bend it easily, so I'm going to get a pick and post back. If you have the time to take a look after I post within the next few days, please let me know if it looks bent compared to yours.

Thanks again.