Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question on Muffler Vibration ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2008, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question on Muffler Vibration ????

Just got a 2002 PT non-turbo with 46000 miles a week ago.

Did what I usually do with most of my new cars got new spark plug wires, changed fluids to synthetic & got a new muffler.

All is fine but the new magnaflow muffler, it sounds fine & not too loud for me but it vibrates the floor & mainly the gas pedal so bad it was a pain to drive for more than an hour.

Took it back to my friend at the muffler shop & he suggested I get resonator or he could put my old muffler back on.

Well I gambled on the resonator & it was a little better but not to my liking.

Is there anything else I can do to smooth it out?

or

If I go back to my old muffler would there be any problem with leaving the new resonator on as in too much back pressure etc. or should I have it taken back off?

Thanks
Old 23 Feb 2008, 12:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Question on Muffler Vibration ????

i put the whole magnaflow catback kit on and love it! the muffler and resonator combo isnt nearly as loud as my airaid intake, which would vibrate the whole car at 4k! did you buy the system or just the muffler? I had given thoughts to just putting on the back of the system, utilizing the stock intermediate pipe, but after seeing how corroded the exhaust pipe was i put the whole stainless system on. Im glad i did at this point.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 01:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
did you buy the system or just the muffler?
Just the magnaflow muffler at first & now with a generic resonator addition.

I didn't need anything fancy it just weirded me out not being to hear my exhaust like I do in my Ranger or my Cutlass.

This is my first 4 banger & I didn't realize the gas pedal would vibrate so much with an after market muffler.

What I'm concerned about now is if I can keep the resonator & put the stock muffler back on without any problems.

The muffler guy said to keep the resonator & put the stock muffler back on but hes not a pt expert like some around here so I was just checking in to see if anyone had an opinion.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 01:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Shouldn't cause any problems.....
Old 23 Feb 2008, 05:27 pm
Young Cruiser

I put a Magnaflow catback system on about a month ago and found there's very little "wiggle room" on 02NA. The front pipe had the slot off about 10 degrees, and if jammed on the header pipe, could make contact with the floor assembly. Quick massage with a whizzer saw fixed it, no buzzing or rattling. Take a look at the pipe's available clearance, stem to stern. Hope it's a quick fix foor you.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 12:06 am
Cool Cruiser

You should be fine having the resonator with a factory muffler. resonators arent that restrictive anyways, theyre just there to take some of the higher notes out of the exhaust tone. you know, magnaflow has several different types of mufflers, did you have the 'turbo' style or the 'free-flow' (straight though) style?
Old 26 Feb 2008, 03:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
Shouldn't cause any problems.....
Thanks for your input slartyblarfast, its much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexium
Take a look at the pipe's available clearance, stem to stern. Hope it's a quick fix foor you.
Yes thats what I did when I took it back to the muffler shop & I even double checked after reading your post & it all looks good.

I was really hoping for something that easy, I thought for sure that was it but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
you know, magnaflow has several different types of mufflers, did you have the 'turbo' style or the 'free-flow' (straight though) style?
Not sure really I think its the 'free-flow'. Its the 11234. This is it right here.

Whats the difference? Would a turbo have been a mellower choice?

There must be at least one more good spot where another hanger could be added. I think that would help stabilize it.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:34 am
Cool Cruiser

you could try a few things. first, utilize ALL of the factory hangers, they are there to stop vibration as well as mount the tailpipe. second, if you like the magnaflow style you picked out,but want it quieter, try using a larger case version. the more packing material and extra space will quiet it down. third, the muffler number 11234 is a 2 in diameter pipe muffler. try going with a 11265, it is a 2.25 muffler and will fit the facotry tailpipe better, and it is a larger case to boot. hope this helps. MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust
Old 27 Feb 2008, 03:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
you could try a few things. first, utilize ALL of the factory hangers, they are there to stop vibration as well as mount the tailpipe. second, if you like the magnaflow style you picked out,but want it quieter, try using a larger case version. the more packing material and extra space will quiet it down. third, the muffler number 11234 is a 2 in diameter pipe muffler. try going with a 11265, it is a 2.25 muffler and will fit the factory tailpipe better, and it is a larger case to boot.
Well Ive used all the factory hangers & I might be wrong about the 11234, I was just going by the sales slip on that one, I just checked it & its defiantly not stepping down to meet the muffler, if anything the muffler looks a little larger.

Yes now I remember, when I first went in I told him it was 2.25" he said it was 2" then came back & said that it was in fact 2.25" & had to have a larger one delivered & I had to wait about 45min for it. I bet he initially wrote 11234 but never changed when the new muffler arrived.

Anyway it seems to have mellowed out even more over the past few days.

I'm not going to make my final decision until I get new tires & drive around a bit & Ill be doing that first thing in the morning & if it still vibrates too much for me its nice to know I can just have the stock muffler put back on & save a few bucks by not removing the resonator.

I'm going for the Continental Extreme Contacts that my tire guy & fritz_t_coyote rave about.

Oh man right now I'm driving on a Mohave, a Goodyear, & two Hankooks.

Thanks for the help & advice!

Ill try to get back in a few days with a video or mp3 for anyone interested.