PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can someone tell me what part goes here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2008, 01:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can someone tell me what part goes here...

Hey folks,
I'm having a bit of a 'Dealer Service Department' problem. I had to take my '04 PT GT to a local dealer a few days ago to have the Cam Sensor replaced. Today I got to nosing around under the hood and decided to remove the aircleaner box to get a better look at the part that was (supposedly) replaced. I'm checking it out when I noticed a bare metal area with 2 bolt holes. A very clean, shiny bare metal area surrounded by 4 years of engine dirt and oil. Very sharply delineated, I might add. Obviously, a part had been removed and not replaced. The problem is that I don't have a clue as to what the part may have been, and when I took my photos back to the Dealer, the service guy said it was where an "ERG" (?) would go, but not on my model. He called it a 'white spot', and denied that anything had been removed. Here's the pix I took. Can anyone help me out on this?

and the closeup -

Gee, it doesn't look like a 'white spot' to me.

Thanks for your help!
Old 24 Feb 2008, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Can someone tell me what part goes here...

Bill,

I did take a close look at mine and it seems we have completely different engines. With mine being a 2001 Non-turbo and yours a 2004 Turbo, Chrysler did a lot of engineering for yours. I do have an EGR tube in that area that runs from the side of the engine to the air intake and attaches right before the throttle body. I also have and EGR tube that runs from the back of the upper manifold to the engine that Chrysler did away with a year or two after 2001, so maybe they did away with the side EGR tube and the mechanic took the bracket and tube off because it wasn't needed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Can someone tell me what part goes here...

Hey, Crewzin, thanks very much for the response. I'd bet you're right about them just removing 'vestigial' parts, but it's a little annoying that they'd do it without at least giving me a heads up. I'm still going to go down and talk to the Service Manager, tomorrow, but after having read your response I think I might tone down the accusatory remarks I'm sometimes prone to. I get spun pretty easily when I think a Dealer is messin' with me, ya know?

Your answer makes good sense and I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

Thanks very much!
Bill