Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
replacing rear door myself ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2008, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default replacing rear door myself ?

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with a big dent in the passenger side rear door.

I was wondering if I could find a used door with the same color, how hard would it be to replace the door myself. It looks like the hinge bolts are fairly easy to get at... the rubber sleeve/grommet that covers the wiring in the door jam is in there pretty tight.

Anybody out there done this ?

My thinking is that the cost of a used door will probably be less than getting the body work done, and then I would not have a door with body filler.

Chris
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: replacing rear door myself ?

Its easy. pull the rubber boot out of the body side of the jamb and disconnect the connectors. then unbolt the hinges from the door, leaving the hinges attached tot he body. put new door on and match the bolts on the old marks. easy as eating pancakes. now, if you go with a brand new door shell, that will be a differnt story. ive found that chryslers replacement panels to be somewhat varying in dimension, and will more than likely need further adjusting. but for a 'good' used door, itll be smooooth sailing.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i would think you ight need someone to help you hold the door in place ??
Old 27 Feb 2008, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are there any differences in the doors over the years, or will any year PT cruiser door work. My car is a 2003 GT.

Do you think the paint will match ? My car is Patriot Blue (Dark metallic blue).
Old 01 Mar 2008, 12:35 am
Cool Cruiser

yes, having another person to help is a given. i believe that doors from 03-05 will work and be completely compatable. the paint may or may not match. during any run in the factory, the paint formula may have been changed slightly, creating alternate formulas. eventhough the paint will be virtually the same, it may have a slightly different hue when viewed from the side or head on. the used door may have been repainted also. replace the door, clean it up and polish it up, then see what you think.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know what you do and how it comes out !! good luck !!