Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FRONT BRAKE ROTORS???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2008, 05:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default FRONT BRAKE ROTORS???

Ok also during state inspection(55k miles on my '03-PT-automatic) the mechanic stated that the front rotors are thin(dont pass inspection-safty issue)-the brakes though are fine 7/32 left I believe-they are not origional-replaced .He stated that the rotors need replacing but the shoes can be reused-sanded etc? Is this correct & do these rotors normally wear faster than the shoes? They (the rotors)were cut with last brake install. All factory,,, more advise needed..(do they wear out first??)again thanks,, MJB
Old 27 Feb 2008, 07:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: FRONT BRAKE ROTORS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Ok also during state inspection(55k miles on my '03-PT-automatic) the mechanic stated that the front rotors are thin(dont pass inspection-safty issue)-the brakes though are fine 7/32 left I believe-they are not origional-replaced .He stated that the rotors need replacing but the shoes can be reused-sanded etc? Is this correct & do these rotors normally wear faster than the shoes? They (the rotors)were cut with last brake install. All factory,,, more advise needed..(do they wear out first??)again thanks,, MJB
The OEM rotors are thin from the get go. That's why there are so many problems with warpage and places refusing to resurface them.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Feb 2008, 08:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

The stock rotors on mine are pretty soft metal. Every car I've ever had, I could bang on the rotors a little to get them off the hub with no issues. When I changed my PT's pads last weekend(at only 2,000 miles on new car because I have a brand preference), I used a hammer and put divits in the rotor.

Then, the stock pads also looked to be semi-metallic. So that combination (soft metal rotors + semi-metallic pads) would probably lead to fast rotor wear.

However, for future reference, you can use a piece of course sandpaper on either reused pads, or reused rotors (assuming they're not warped) when only replacing one or the other part at once, in order to refresh the surface and prep it for re-seating with the new component.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 10:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok so what the mechanic says makes sence by what I see in both replies? Its safe to replace rotors & use excisting shoes as long as they are sanded? Thanks Mjb
Old 29 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

brakes are a safety issue, don't half ass it. replace both pads and rotors.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 11:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggert_LOA View Post
brakes are a safety issue, don't half ass it. replace both pads and rotors.
It's not really a safety issue as much as a waste of time issue. Personally, they'd have to be expensive pads with ALOT of pad left for me not to replace them while I had the calipers off.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 08:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree I asked why not replace both?? the mechanic stated not needed???
Old 04 Mar 2008, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I agree I asked why not replace both?? the mechanic stated not needed???
Top-notch pads (ceramic) are about $60, I guess your mechanic was saving you a few bucks. If the existing pads are worn evenly, no real reason why not.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Mar 2008, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Top-notch pads (ceramic) are about $60,
Mine were $70, and that's the cheapest I could find for the brand I wanted. Just ceramic pads, not even racing or Auto-X spec'd.