PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fog lights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2008, 10:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB
Default fog lights?

On my PT GT I have some lights in the lower section of front valanve below the bumper, seem to be stock and loads of other people have them.

My stupid question is how do I turn them on!

They don't seem to be linked to the headlight stalk in any way.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: fog lights?

Twist headlight switch (on left turnsignal type arm) one click upward and "gently" pull out. You will see the green icon come on which tells you the fog lights are on. (I say gently, because the entire mechanism is plastic and easily breakable. Also, with wear the icon may come on from time to time without even following procedure so make sure they are off when you leave the car, otherwise it's dead battery time. Should the green icon come on without pulling or clicking simply tap the end until they go off). -Pila of Hawaii
Old 02 Mar 2008, 12:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Pila;

Your "multi-function switch" is failing, do a search on it, there have been many threads about this very problem. Eventually, tapping the end of the stalk will do little good. No need for a dead battery, the part is about $70 at a dealer and isn't that hard to put in.

srg
Old 02 Mar 2008, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

$70 bucks, HA! The one that is failing just cost me $75 from a salvage yard. Another costly lesson and proof of the vaildity of forums. When I bought the car the cap to the headlight switch was broken off and I was told by the salvage expert I had to replace the entire turnsignal/wiper "cluster". What part are you talking about that can be replaced for $70? I have an old "cluster" if anyone needs it. Live and learn!
Old 02 Mar 2008, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cluster? you're replacing the stalk and the plastic switch assembly thats bolted to the steering column. It's all one part that has a cable connected to it.

The BRAND NEW part at a dealer was only $70, and other people on the site that they've bought it for $45 or so. (remember I said to do a site search for "multi-function switch" ? tons of posts about it)

srg
Old 02 Mar 2008, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

HA! Silly me. Must be the concussion, when I fell off the turnip truck. Proof once more, CHECK YOUR FORUM FIRST!
Old 02 Mar 2008, 08:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

So why hasnt Chrysler recalled this piece of junk, if so many people have had issues with it?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 10:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: fog lights?

What "Issues"???
Sometimes things bought at the junk yard (excuse me salvage yard) are just "junk"!
(2 PTs - no issues!)
Old 03 Mar 2008, 02:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePTGirl View Post
So why hasnt Chrysler recalled this piece of junk, if so many people have had issues with it?
Recalls are for safety issues, and if you read the threads about the multi-function switch, and fog light problems, you mainly see that they come ON by themselves as the problem. Not that you can't turn on your lights.

From what I've heard about recalls, car companies won't issue a recall unless forced to do it by NHTSA, or they know NHTSA is going to force them to real soon.

Of course you can file a complaint with The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) by clicking on this link:

NHTSA Complaint page!

Or call 1-888-327-4236 toll free.

Good luck;
srg