Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mileage is confusing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2008, 07:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Mileage is confusing

I have not figured out how to use the average miles on the dash, it goes up and down from 19 to over 22. I reset it (after reading it can be done) and its showing 20.6 right now. However I've always checked the miles per gallon on my other cars by filling up, reset the trip odometer to 0, driving and then filling up again and dividing the miles into the gallons it took to fill. Thursday I filled up before gas prices shot up, I let the pump kick off and didn't squeeze anymore in. I did notice it didn't quite go to the F. I drove several trips on 2 lane rows to other towns. I filled up again yesterday and was disappointed to average 18 mpg but this time when I filled up and the pump kicked off the needle was just alittle over the F on the gauge. So today on the full tank I drove 29.1 miles to another town (had a couple small towns to slow down and pass through). Gas was cheaper there so I filled up and it took 1.01 gallons to kick the pump off. So it looks like it averaged 29 miles per gallon? Very unbelievable! I also noticed the my miles to empty was over 300, in fact on the way home it kept going up and ended at 318 and the needle hasn't moved off the F mark. Can this be real? I just turned over to 2000 miles today. I do drive easy and average about 60mph on the highway. I'm going to put a K&N airfilter in this week. But the mileage averaging is very confusing. I try not to even look at the dash anymore but hard to believe the 29 I got today.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 09 Mar 2008, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Angry Re: Mileage is confusing

Forget about using the avg on the dash. Best thing is to use a pencil & paper. That setup is another thing Chrysler should have forgotten about, it is NOT accurate.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Mar 2008, 08:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Mileage is confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Forget about using the avg on the dash. Best thing is to use a pencil & paper. That setup is another thing Chrysler should have forgotten about, it is NOT accurate.
I agree. Do your mpg calculations over no less than 5 tankfuls. Doing it on just one tankful is a joke and not accurate at all.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Mar 2008, 10:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think what I read once is to make sure you fill up with the same pump at the same station every time to make sure that you get the same amount in it every time. But there will always be variables, such as how far you put the nozzle in and whether the vent line is working right. Sometimes they'll freeze or get plugged and the pump kicks out prematurely.

The biggest variable is your right foot which sounds like you've got it under control! The K&N should help, I've also read that running tires at 36psi helps. I haven't tried that on mine, I run 34 front 32 back, but that's just my preference and they wear good there. I've also found my car to hate operating when the engine is cold, I've seemed to have better results letting the car warm up for 2-3 minutes on cold days. The best I've ever got is 33mpg and the worst I've had is 14. The 33 was on a road trip driving 55mph, the 17 was during -40 weather doing short runs in the city.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

A K&N will not help with mpg. Run 36-38 in your tires, keep it tuned and controlling your right foot is all you can do to get the best mpg. A K&N, an exhaust, a Toronado, magnets, etc are all just wishful thinking as far as increasing mpg. Don't you think the manufacturers would do these things to increase their fleet's mpg if it worked?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Mar 2008, 01:20 am
Cool Cruiser

I'll beg to differ to a point. Manufacturers have to balance fuel economy vs cost. A K&N is a more expensive filter. That's why they through on a paper element. Also if you oil a K&N too much it will interfere with sensors, it's more idiot proof to offer a paper filter. As for the exhaust, a free flowing exhaust will be louder. The average car driver doesn't want to hear the engine, so a quiet exhaust isn't bad to offer.

An engine is a big air pump, if you make air easier to get into the engine, move through the engine, and exit the engine you'll increase the efficiency of the engine. This results in better fuel economy and more power. Head porting, and port matching the intake and exhaust would also help. But that's not cost efficient.

Now as to how much difference it would make might be a bit hard to say. I know with what I've done I've seen a little improvement, but mostly it's all in the foot. A better flowing intake and exhaust should make it better, but it will probably be more like 1-2mpg better, not something that will really show up on paper.

That's the point of view that I have, I'd be interested if you could show me otherwise, I'm always willing to learn!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Ok, so as I'm understanding it a K&N air filter is worthless to help with mileage, so don't spend the money on it? Just leave it as is and go easy on the foot and driving?

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 10 Mar 2008, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolieCruiser View Post
Ok, so as I'm understanding it a K&N air filter is worthless to help with mileage, so don't spend the money on it? Just leave it as is and go easy on the foot and driving?
When you ask a question like that you will get pro & cons of a K&N. I went with the Airaid intake system and it improved my mileage 3-5 miles per gallon on two different PT's. For my 2006 NA it ran about $170 contact Maggie at www.raceandstreet

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Mar 2008, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wish I were more handy in the mechanics of a car. I can drop an airfilter in but afraid I can't install the system you're talking about, would have to take it to a shop which will tack on more $$$.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 10 Mar 2008, 03:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with what you can do actually. The Airaid is four pieces of metal that you have to screw together. Once that's assembled you put the filter on the pipe and tighten a clamp. The factory airbox just unclips, then there's a clamp you have to loosen. You the factory airbox off, and put the airaid in. Tighten the clamp, flip two clips done! It's actually very easy. If you can work a screw driver you can install this! The only thing is that intake gets noisy if you rev it over 4000rpm, you can't hear it under about 3000rpm. If you like a bit of a growl you'll enjoy it, but it ain't gonna sound like a V8.

I also one time believed that I had no mechanical ability, I've rebuilt my old four wheeler end to end. I've modded my new one considerably. I've pulled a tranny and engine out of my parents Caravan. Done the brakes on two of my cars... It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it!

Ben

Edit: I see you have an 06, I know the airbox has changed a touch, I think it's just smaller. I would think that the install is still very much the same.