Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I have a question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2008, 01:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Default I have a question...

So I am starting the car the other day, and I noticed on the fuel gauge and thermometer gauge there is a little red light that lights up when I first start the car. I noticed that if I leave the key in on position it goes out after a few moments.

Also we have some issues sometimes where the car has a hard start. But if I wait for this light to go out, the car starts easier and right away.

I know that desiel engines require a heat coil to go before starting, but I have never heard anything about regular gas engines. Does this light have anything to do with starting the car, or is it just coincidence?
Old 13 Mar 2008, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I have a question...

Your little red light has nothing to do with starting the car. It's the built-in alarm system. If you stand outside the car, hit your remote lock, the light comes on to show you the alarm is on. It goes out after a couple minutes. When you start the engine, that light and a few others come on for a second or two then they all go out if nothings wrong with any of the systems.

The electric fuel pump probably has more to do with why you start up easily with waiting a few seconds. Waiting a few long seconds with the key in the ON position gets the fuel pump working and gets your fuel pressure UP enough to get the engine going. It just happens to coincide with the time you wait for the red light to go off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I have a question...

that little red light in the dash is for the theft system, what it indicates is that the ignition key that is in the ignition is correct for that vehical or programed for it depending on how you want to say it.
if the light was to stay on and a no start was to also happen it would meen the the key hasn;t programed for the vehical.
and yeah if you wait a second for the light to turn out it means that all the controlers have had a chance to verifie that it sees the right key.
so if the little light goes out nothing to worry about.