Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT and looking for ideas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New PT and looking for ideas.

Hey all. Just got my PT a month ago. 2007 with 19000 miles. Its nothing fancy as of now. Plain white. Only features are the Sirius radio (drive 150+ miles a day and the Sirius comes in handy).

Where should I start mod wise. I want to get the best mileage possible and I want it to look unique. I got it because the dealer said it was great on gas. Don't think 24mpg is great.

Any advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I love this car it looks good and the ride is nice and smoother.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: New PT and looking for ideas.

Congrats on your new Cruiser!

Where to start modding? Well, you might say there are two basic types of mods, performance and appearance. Some people do one or the other, some do both. What kind of results are you more interested in: increasing power and performance, personalizing the car's look, or some of each? Think a little about what you want the end product to be, then go for it! The nice thing is, you'll find lots of people on this forum with ideas and advice, for what ever you decide. (And there's probably a Cruiser club somewhere near you, too, so you can look over what other folks have done.) Happy Crusin'!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am looking to do both. Appearance is where I want to start But I want to know if there are easy inexpensive ways to better performance. Is there a way to get better performance and at the same time increase my fuel mileage?
In the end I want it to look unique. I know I want to replace the hood with one with the two scoops.
I forgot to add that I have the Touring edition.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME to the forum. If your averaging 24mpg consider your self in the middle to top half of averages. Never believe what a dealer tells you.

Race and Street is one of the best places to look for appearance (exterior and interior) and performance parts. Good prices, fast shipping and excellent customer service. www.raceandstreet.com Open the site, and click on "store".

Weight is a factor in gas mileage, carry as little as possible. If you don't need the rear seats, take them out and store them till needed.

Pump your tires up about 2-4 pounds above what's recommended on the door sticker. Less rolling resistance.

A less restrictive air intake system and a lighter weight exhaust will help a little.

Enjoy the ride.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 04:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Welcome to the forums!

I've started doing what you want to do, about a month ago. I got a new air filter (K&N), spoiler, vent visors, subwoofers, blue headlights/foglights/highbeams.

The air filter DID in fact help my gas mileage but not by as much as I was thinking. Instead of getting 300 miles per fill up, I'm around 310-320 miles per fill up.

The spoiler REALLY spices the look of the PT up...A LOT. Personally it's one of the best appearance mods I have installed.

The vent visors are just awesome. It frees the car of interior fogging, and it keeps out the rain/sleet/snow if you need a window down for a cigarette or something.

The subwoofer system is just of preference..I'm a young kid who loves the noise so I HAD to get it in the PT.

Blue headlights etc.. Excellent add-on. First of all it makes viewing the road/signs at night a lot easier. Second of all, it looks awesome.

Pretty soon, I'll have tints, maybe an aftermarket exhaust system, and eventually Turbo .

Good luck getting setup with your PT. They are a lot of fun, cept when their in the shop . If you have any questions or anything feel free to message me or add me on AIM.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 07:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to rte662006

Check out my cardomain.I have a 06 with a few mods.Any questions feel free to ask.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New PT and looking for ideas.

OK, saw the latest mods list, including the wish for a turbo.
So, let's hear no more talks about gas mileage!!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I like it. I had a blazer extreme in that color. How hard is it to put in the radio with the screen. I want one that plays vid and has GPS.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looking for the good mileage for now until I get work car. I drive 150 miles a day. This will be my project car in about a year.