Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
We're 16 hours into the engine and it's not out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2008, 10:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry We're 16 hours into the engine and it's not out

I just need parts and peices so far as we dive deeper into getting the engine out of my 01 from a timing belt break. So far the only thing i really need is a valve cover, and some advice on whether our plan is going to work. We have found no apparrent damage to the engine or cylinders so far, and the PT is supposted to have a "stop engine", but I'm afraid that we are going to do all this work and I'm still going to have to buy an engine. Anyone know about broken timing belt and just replacing all the seals and putting it back together?? Stupid Car
Old 17 Mar 2008, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: We're 16 hours into the engine and it's not out

Is your car a turbo or a N/A? The turbo engine is a non-contact engine, the valves can't contact the pistons if the timing belt breaks. The N/A engine is a contact engine, if the belt breaks the valves can hit the pistons. This is because the N/A motor has higher compression ratio and taller pistons. If valves did hit you should see marks on the piston(s) and also bent valves. If there's a machine shop that specializes in head work it might be an idea to bring the head in and have the valve seals changed and everything checked out. Then you have some piece of mind.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 18 Mar 2008, 07:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
The N/A engine is a contact engine, if the belt breaks the valves can hit the pistons. This is because the N/A motor has higher compression ratio and taller pistons.

That is totally incorrect.
Where did you get the wrong info?

Please refer to the factory Chrysler service manuals for detailed information.

There is no domestic PT Cruiser engine built that will allow the pistons to hit the valves.

However, the valves can hit each other if the 2 cams are turned incorrectly.

This is in every factory PT service manual for 7 years. It's also corect in Alldata and Mitchell Information systems used by professional repair shops.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

I stand corrected. I'm pretty sure I had read that over on Turbododge quite awhile back. I know I saw a thread where that was discussed in length and I was pretty sure that it had been stated that a turbo was non contact and the N/A was. I'm glad to hear that's not the case. Mine is N/A and I don't like the idea of valves piling. Thanks for catching that. I try to pass along good info and don't like being wrong. Sorry if I was misleading.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.