Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GAS MILEAGE RANTS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2008, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool GAS MILEAGE RANTS

There's been a lot of poor gas mileage "rant's posted lately....
Soooo, I though that I'd post this message I got from a close friend:
No, it won't help those of us who by turbos for performance, or who like to hear our intakes growl!!!
----------------------------------
(Obviously from Cal-e-fo-knee-a)
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline, but here in California
we are also paying higher--up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work has
been in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get
more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver
about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is
diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades.
We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground
temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the
gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon
or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum
business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel
and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the
service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast
mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,
middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby
minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at
the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some
other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being
sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less
worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF
FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your
tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster
than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating
roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the
atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here
where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that
every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage
tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is
being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some
of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you
get the most value for your money.

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might
even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should
return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the
coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import
their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are
the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern
oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco........... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway..... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If
you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
(oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco.................0 barrels

Sinclair.................0 barrels

BP/Phillips............0 barrels

Hess....................0 barrels

ARCO...................0 barrels

If you go to Sunoco.com , you will get a list of the station locations near
you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each
is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are
importing.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 01:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: GAS MILEAGE RANTS

Well that list is just great, except only ONE of those companies does business in California (Arco). Conoco does too (isnt it Valero?) but it is run from Venezuela, I believe.

I think that when we have a regime change next fall and no longer have the oil industry's best friends in the White House, we will see a change in prices. This gouging of consumers is what is destroying the economy more than anything--and yet, the oil companies still have their record-setting profits. But never fear, a $600 tax "rebate" will fix it all (and buy you exactly 12 tanks of gas, at current prices--whoo hoo).

Last edited by PurplePTGirl; 21 Mar 2008 at 01:23 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 01:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

How true! Only one of the good companies is in my area.
There's a rebate calculator out now and I'm only getting $300 - only 6 tank fulls lol

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 21 Mar 2008, 02:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

That is an awesome post. I will keep in mind all of this next time I fill up. Believe it or not I only put a 3/4 tank in my tank today...$30.00 @ $3.19/gal. People up here in Michigan think the price of gas (up here) will mearly hit $4.00/gal or more before summer rolls around. I can't wait to put $60 in my tank to go to work and back home 4x .

Thanks for that post!!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 21 Mar 2008, 02:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

That's interesting. I know here in Manitoba you'll often see a sticker on pumps at fuel stations that says "Volume corrected to 15*C" This is to ensure that no matter the temperature you get the same volume of fuel. That has been in place here for about 10 years. I would think that it's probably mandatory to have that. I'd be very surprised if you wouldn't have that in the States.

If you want to feel better about gas prices we have to pay $1.10/liter. Our dollar is pretty much on par with the US dollar so that puts us at $4.16/gallon. I live right on the US border and drive 10 miles into MN to gas up. There price there is $3.20/gallon. That works out to $0.85/liter for me and is a savings of up to $10 per fill up even with the extra driving. I found out recently that the gas they sell is imported from Manitoba. There are a few gas stations in northern MN that send a truck up to Winnipeg, a 80 mile one way trip, to pick up gas. Because of buying it internationally they get breaks on taxes. They are then able to sell it at a cheaper price than other fuel stations in the area. What bugs me about this is that they must be getting it for half the price I pay. It's cheaper for me to drive 10 miles into the States to buy Canadian fuel that has been hauled 80 miles! Man I hate politics!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 21 Mar 2008, 02:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

You're lucky at $3.19/gallon, around here its about $3.44/gallon but of course we have lots of taxes on gas to pay for nice roads but mmmmmm we seem to have worse roads than other states.

Its a great article and I'll be telling my family and friends.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 21 Mar 2008, 07:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gas is almost as expensive as crack it seems. I'm in the Army, and yesterday when I went to work at 5:30 in the morning, I found out I didn't have to report to my place of duty till 9AM. OK. 3 hours to kill. I could either go home 20 miles away and relax and cook my own breakfast at the cost of $7 in extra gas round trip + the cost of the food ..... or I could go to Dennys and get have someone else make my breakfast for me (better tasting I might add) and only dish out $6 for a Grand Slam and $1 for coffee. I seriously could not believe the math worked out to my favor to eat out to a sit down restaurant vs. going home to eat. No-brainer.

Needless to say I've already called about on-base housing. Hopefully I'll be down to a half-mile commute to work every morning by Spring.

I don't know how old the information provided above is though. I know there was an email with pretty similar data going around like in the late 90's or early 00's, and I'm willing to bet this data is exactly the same. (Note: the list mentions gas at $30 a barrel, which is pre-Iraqi invasion or thereabouts) Arco merged with Amoco and BP like 8 years ago, so I'm sure they all use the same gas refinery, and hence the same suppliers. I know Amocos have BP fuel stickers at the pumps just like my local Arco does. Then, the list shows ‘BP/Conoco’, when BP, as aforementioned, is part of Arco and Amoco, not Conoco. Conoco has since merged with Phillips.

Also, I thought ConocoPhillips sourced most of its gas from Russia. I'd rather buy gas from Chavez than the Russians. Last I checked Chavez hates Bush and his administration, not all Americans. From Bush's approval rating, Chavez's views are not too far off. I call G. Bush 'Damien', whereas Chavez calls him 'The Devil'. Potato - Potatoe. The Russians are actually a force on the UN Council and are constantly busting our balls. Venezuela is all talk, no bite. Chavez is the comic relief of politics, as Charles Barkley is the comic relief of basketball.

That political minutia aside, I think I’d be MUCH more interested in seeing who uses American oil the most, and which company pumps the most money into the American economy regardless of oil sources. Even importing oil from friendly countries like neighborly Canada doesn’t help the American economy. The bottom line is who we SHOULD be funding, not who we SHOULDN’T be funding.

I think the best solution is going to 20% ethanol in the end, but that will mean WORSE milage …. Not better. So either way, we either bit the bullet in milage, or we fund some kooky third-world country with the stability of paper-mache. Or Americans could just stop buying 6,000 lb SUV’s that get the same milage as a Freightliner and start taking public transportation, but that’s just silly.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: GAS MILEAGE RANTS

PurpleGirl,
If we leave it to the liberals and environmentalists, only Al Gore will be able to afford gas. By the way, Bush tried to get a comprehensive energy bill through congress to help eliviate gas prices, but the Democrats and environmentalists killed the effort. Thanks Nancy Pelosi!
Lakersfan,
I believe that Chavez "nationalized" the whole oil industry in Venezuela! I believe that was stealing, the last time I checked? (Just like Joseph Stalin did in Russia) Chavez is already using that $$ to support rebel guerillas in Ecuador and Columbia. Nice Guy, huh? He will be doing his best to infect the northern part of South America.
As for Ethanol - my son races and is involved in the aircraft industry. He says that the ethanol is very volatile, and corrosive - cannot be transported by conventional pipeline...would destroy the pipes in a number of years. All transport by stainless steel tanker would be a real bottleneck; would result in price increases in the grains we eat that they use to make ethanol; and like you said, the mileage sucks! This would likely only be a minor piece of a "comprehensive energy policy change "! (If the Democrats will allow this)
Old 21 Mar 2008, 09:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
PurpleGirl,
If we leave it to the liberals and environmentalists, only Al Gore will be able to afford gas. By the way, Bush tried to get a comprehensive energy bill through congress to help eliviate gas prices, but the Democrats and environmentalists killed the effort. Thanks Nancy Pelosi!
Lakersfan,
I believe that Chavez "nationalized" the whole oil industry in Venezuela! I believe that was stealing, the last time I checked? (Just like Joseph Stalin did in Russia) Chavez is already using that $$ to support rebel guerillas in Ecuador and Columbia. Nice Guy, huh? He will be doing his best to infect the northern part of South America.

I'm not complaining about gas prices per se. I think we needed $4 gas to get America to finally try to rid its dependance on oil, which isn't a great long-term solution, and the ridiculous SUV obsession, . And Brazil is already on 20% ethanol, whereas we're already at 10%. Unless you're implying that Brazilian $6,000 crap-box disposable cars are made better than ours. It can be done if Americans can tolerate a minor inconvenience to upgrade whatever aluminum fuel parts to existing cars, and implement the change on all new cars henceforth to prevent the minor corrosion. God forbid Americans tolerate a short inconvenience to secure thier future. But anyways with the corrosive thing, I ran E85 on my last car for almost a year when I was in Illinois .... and my car wasn't made for E85. Aluminum fuel rails and piping. Never had an issue except for running awfully cool and the milage hit. Other than that, I never encountered this elusive corrosion they speak of about ethanol.

We can also shift from corn ethanol to using other crops we can make ethanol from, which are supposed to be more cost efficient to produce.

And nationalizing oil is stealing? Last I checked, Venezuelans are paying $.07 a gallon for gas. That's seven cents a gallon. I'm sure his citizens are pissed about that. There's far worse that Chavez in the world. The Saudi government was ranked the third most oppressive government in the world in an article I read about recently, and the royalty there live in ridiculous luxury. But the Americans turn the other cheek for them, and embrace them. Why? Because they oil our politicians' buts with fine oils and frankencents (whatever that is) and then kiss it. Like I said, pretty much every oil producing country aside from us and Canada are either corrupt or abusive or nutty. With our oil consumption, we have no choice but to put money in some buttmunch's pocket. Pick your poision. Personally, the only country I really, really hate the idea of supporting through oil purchasing is Saudi Arabia. We make them sloppy rich, and they send us lots of terrorists. Nice trade.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 09:21 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post

And nationalizing oil is stealing? Last I checked, Venezuelans are paying $.07 a gallon for gas. That's seven cents a gallon.
Wow at that price i would buy an suv and keep it in the house to drive from the tv to the bathroom