Advertisements
How can I disable the horn/toot when i push "lock"

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2008, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How can I disable the horn/toot when i push "lock"

Hi all,

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser... I've been looking at the manual but I am unable to find out how I can disable the "toot" that the car makes when I push the "lock" button on the keyless entry.

On page 26 of the manual it describes how to turn off "flash lights with lock" which I have done. Now that I've taken care of the lights, I need to get rid of that horn.

I live on a very quiet street and I work until 11:30 in the evening. I get home around midnight and the apartment building is very close to the street. I'm tired of waking them up!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Kurt
Old 01 Apr 2008, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How can I disable the horn/toot when i push "lock"

If your manual doesn't tell you how, you might not be able to disable the horn. How about using the key in the outside door lock to lock the doors when you get out. Turning the key once from the outside will lock the drivers door, turn it again and all the other doors plus the tailgate will lock also and no horn will sound.

Oh yea, to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Apr 2008, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If your manual doesn't tell you how, you might not be able to disable the horn. How about using the key in the outside door lock to lock the doors when you get out. Turning the key once from the outside will lock the drivers door, turn it again and all the other doors plus the tailgate will lock also and no horn will sound.

Oh yea, to the forum.
Will the alarm still be activated, if you lock it from the inside??

I thought if you locked it from the inside the alarm would not be enabled. But yeah, locking it from the inside will fix the "toot" when you lock it from the remote.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 01 Apr 2008, 09:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit
Cool Re: How can I disable the horn/toot when i push "lock"

Okay here is what I have ...Look where your gas gauge and temp gauge are... There is a LED Display with your Radio and compass settings etc... Push the button till you reach were it say Personal Settings > Press and Hold it for 2 seconds...Next It should read as follows
1. Language
2. Auto Door Locks
3. Auto Unlock on Exit
4. RKE Unlock Driver Door 1st Press
5. Sound Horn With Lock ( turn it to off )
6. Flash Lamps with Lock
7. HeadLamp Delay
8. Key Off Power Delay
9. Illuminated Approach
There are a couple more that I did not list .. But I thought I would put them in order for you ... Hope this works for you.... Sorry didnt get to take pics,,let me know if you need some though...
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.

Old 01 Apr 2008, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: How can I disable the horn/toot when i push "lock"

Lots of good basic info in the owner's manual!
Old 02 Apr 2008, 07:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

im heading to school, i'll look for those buttons. i noticed there was one on the left side for temperature and direction, and on the right it shows km driven... is it one of those two?
Old 02 Apr 2008, 07:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfit View Post
Okay here is what I have ...Look where your gas gauge and temp gauge are... There is a LED Display with your Radio and compass settings etc... Push the button till you reach were it say Personal Settings ....
Wow. They must have added all that in the later years. All the older ones have is one button and all that does is reset the trip odometer. Thanks for the info outfit.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

i tried to push that button where the display is... i can choose a couple options like compass and temperature, average fuel, remaining km in gas tank, and something else.. only 4 options.. I can't get to the personal settings.

Perhaps because it's a rental car and they can some how turn it off... But I've rented cars before and the options were always available to me somehow.

I found an easier way. I'll just push lock on my actual door. It will lock all the doors. And then I will close my door and that's it.

It's really annoying that the headlamps stay on for a minute. I always have to stand there and wait to make sure it's really going to stay off or i'll go paranoid. And yes I know I can disable that, but I can't because somehow the dealership can turn personal settings off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH
Old 02 Apr 2008, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurty View Post

I found an easier way. I'll just push lock on my actual door. It will lock all the doors. And then I will close my door and that's it.

That's what I was saying in my reply but you can do it with the key in the lock from outside the car. Just make sure by just pushing the lock down by hand that the rear hatch is locking also.

Old 07 Apr 2008, 08:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I got my car, I had the reverse problem and it was deactivated. I turned mine on. Whether, or not you have an alarm added, the quick horn beep will at least get a thief to think twice about targeting your car.