Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Damn fog lights..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2008, 03:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Damn fog lights..

Alright, today leaving Murrays I realized that my fog lights were on. I go in the car, and their still in the OFF position. So driving down the road I'm playing with the switch and just the slightest bump makes the fog lights go on/off.

I got home, went inside, came back outside and they were ON! I'm not going to have my battery die at night so I pulled the fuse.

What is the problem?! Was fine yesterday, was fine even 3hrs ago!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 02 Apr 2008, 03:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Damn fog lights..

Your multi-function switch is going out. It's not that hard to change. Bad ones have caused fires so get it fixed.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Apr 2008, 03:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Your multi-function switch is going out. It's not that hard to change. Bad ones have caused fires so get it fixed.
Shit...to be honest, there was smoke coming out from around my Hazard button...what a coincidence, lol. But yeah, maybe I should get that looked at - I do have Full Coverage insurance so if there IS a fire....

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 02 Apr 2008, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mean Green is right on the money. MX-5 (our local GURU) once showed us close-up pictures of the inside of the multifunction stalk. The cheaply made parts inside were burnt and melted because of the heat generated by the draw of current thru the stalk. Why everyone doesn't have the same thng happen is a mystery. I use my fog lights quite a bit (a little less after I saw what could happen) but the stalk still works after 7 1/2 years.

You can replace it yourself without too much problem. After you pick one up, give us a shout and I'm sure someone will walk you thru the changeover. Make sure you buy the right stalk, the one WITH the fog light control...you can get one without the control by mistake.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 03:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do you guys suggest getting it from the dealer, or getting it from eBay or any other online store? Thanks!

My Baby:

Old 02 Apr 2008, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's nothing wrong with eBay IF it's a new stalk and a reputable person (lots of good feedback). Check the dealer for the OEM price and then check eBay or aftermarket vendor to see what they want. Don't forget to add shipping to the final price, and again, make sure it's the stalk WITH the fog light control.

P.S. Don't throw yours away when yo get the new one, you need a small part of it to transfer to the new stalk.

P.S.S. Something to read.....

how to install multi-function switch?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 04:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'll look into it tonight - Got a bid on a Cold Air Intake system, lol.

Now about that fire.....Since I took the #8 fuse out, is a fire out of the question, or can one still occur even if the fuse is out. It would be kinda embarrassing to have my PT on fire in rush hour tomorrow morning.

My Baby:

Old 02 Apr 2008, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With the fuse out, I would think there's no current going to the stalk for the fogs so it would be all right. Maybe someone could tell you a more definite answer if they have a wiring diagram.

Old 02 Apr 2008, 04:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you replace the fog light bulb with a higher wattage bulb will more draw go through the stalk? I bought some look alike 9005 HID bulbs and found out that with the 90* bend on the end they won't work in my headlights. They are rated at 70W each. I saw the fog light bulb used a 90* bend and I modified the bulbs so I could put them down there. I think the stock bulb is 35W, did I just double my draw through that stalk? I drive with them on all the time when on low beam as it helps with lighting up deer in the ditches. I don't wanna start my car on fire, I like it too much!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 02 Apr 2008, 05:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I still wouldn't trust the switch. You are still drawing power from the other lights like headlights, interior lights....... If you've seen smoke I don't think I'd drive it until the switch was replaced.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic