PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

liftgate won't stay up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2008, 03:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Question liftgate won't stay up

When I open the liftgate, the hydraulics no longer keep it open: it just slowly drops back down. My baby's an '03 LE; this started a couple months ago, and I figured it was probably just the colder winter weather affecting it. Well, the weather's warmed up, but the liftgate is still slowly dropping shut. Any suggestions? Anybody else get this, and what did you do to fix it? Thanks!
Old 05 Apr 2008, 03:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: liftgate won't stay up

You aren't the first to have this problem. You are going to have to replace the struts. If you don't want to buy new you can check out a salvage yard.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 05 Apr 2008, 06:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: liftgate won't stay up

Yep, time for new gas struts. Dealer, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, should be able to get them for you if not in stock. I got 5 years out of the ones on the 2003 and 6 years out of the 2002 struts. BTW- I wouldn't bother with the salvage yard ones, you don't know how old they are and you could be back in the same boat as you are now in a couple of months.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dang, that's what I was afraid of..... why does it seem like NOTHING is ever fixable without large doses of money?!? Where oh where are the cheap-and-easy fixes?!? (Or am I merely going senile, and fantasizing about good old days that never were! Wait a minute, don't answer that.....)

New ones it is; I think you're right about not knowing how much life is left in used ones. And, like you said about your own, I've gotten five-plus years out of 'em, so it's sorta expected. Sigh.
Old 06 Apr 2008, 12:26 am
Cool Cruiser

I don't think those struts should be expensive. Check out a few of your local parts stores, they should be fairly generic and they should be able to find out the length. I can't remember for sure but the last time they were replaced on my folks Caravan I think they were $20-30. I think they're very straight forward to install too, should be easy to do yourself.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 06 Apr 2008, 02:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Got mine at Advanced Auto Parts. Seems like they were less than $20 each. Not to hard to install, just be sure you have a helper. That lift gate gets heavy if you try to hold it up yourself.
Old 06 Apr 2008, 04:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

(Hiya, Frank --- the lock pins look good, thanks!

Yeah, I noticed the liftgate is kinda heavy....... right about the time it bonked me on the head as it silently came down! Nearest auto place is a Pep Boys, I'll give them a try for the struts; and I've got a long-suffering friend for the free labor..... and boy, is HE gonna be surprised to find out he's volunteered --- again!
Old 07 Apr 2008, 03:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

heh My hatchback mustang would do that in the cold. Lots of unexpected hits happened >.>
Old 07 Apr 2008, 07:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post
Dang, that's what I was afraid of..... why does it seem like NOTHING is ever fixable without large doses of money?!? Where oh where are the cheap-and-easy fixes?!? (Or am I merely going senile, and fantasizing about good old days that never were! Wait a minute, don't answer that.....)

New ones it is; I think you're right about not knowing how much life is left in used ones. And, like you said about your own, I've gotten five-plus years out of 'em, so it's sorta expected. Sigh.

Here's a place to try...

PT Cruiser Struts

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 07 Apr 2008, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know how much you get them for