Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motorhome towing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2008, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motorhome towing

I just boudgt my new 2008 PT LX Cruiser today and found out that I need a Transmission disconnect or a dolly to tow behind my motor home. I think that the manual say's that I cannot tow unless all four wheels are on the ground, and also what would happen to my warrenty if I purchase a disconnect.
Could anyone help me out there?
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motorhome towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPat View Post
I think that the manual say's that I cannot tow unless all four wheels are on the ground
Something is a little mixed up with what your saying. If you have a dolly for the front wheels, a transmission disconnect is not needed. It's only needed if your towing with all four wheel on the ground, or I believe there's something you can buy to hook up to the tranny without disconnecting it.

Either way, nothing will affect your warranty if you tow the right way.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You need to either buy a tow dolly, or buy a Remco pump if you have a automatic trans. I wanted to tow behind my RV and decided to buy a Jeep instead. So the PT is used around town, Jeep gets towed.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 10:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I see PT's being towed behind RV's all the time. Why would you want to tow a car on all 4's if it puts miles on the car? Or does it???!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 06 Apr 2008, 06:55 am
Young Cruiser

I tow my PT all the time,, I can't keep a trailer at my current house,, so to and from the track I use a dolly, long distance I rent a trailer, Mileage is through the tranny,, so if the front wheels are on a dolly no mileage is recorded.

Tom
Old 06 Apr 2008, 09:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmdpt View Post
I tow my PT all the time,, I can't keep a trailer at my current house,, so to and from the track I use a dolly, long distance I rent a trailer, Mileage is through the tranny,, so if the front wheels are on a dolly no mileage is recorded.

Tom
I see - Thanks for clearing that up

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 06 Apr 2008, 09:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
What happened!!??!

My Baby:

Old 06 Apr 2008, 01:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
I see PT's being towed behind RV's all the time. Why would you want to tow a car on all 4's if it puts miles on the car? Or does it???!
It won't put milage on the odo, but it will still put the milage on the rear tires and bearings. If you've got tires worth a crap, I'd use a full trailer and just tow the whole thing.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
It won't put milage on the odo, but it will still put the milage on the rear tires and bearings. If you've got tires worth a crap, I'd use a full trailer and just tow the whole thing.
Don't follow your logic. Rear tires on a FWD drive car last nearly forever, and what about the trailer tires?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles