Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
changing speedometer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2008, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default changing speedometer

Hi I have a pt cruiser that was made for Canada, the speedometer and odmeter are in kilometers. Does anyone know if iswap it with a US speedometer if it will be calibrated correctly
Old 07 Apr 2008, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: changing speedometer

probably the only way you are going to do it and not have problems is if you order a new cluster from a dealer thats in mph that way you get the right one for your car that will work and the milage will be right also. just make sure you tell them your old milage is metric.

cause if you start swaping junkyard clusters in trust me you will regret it, i just had a car in the shop this morning the guy was swaping clusters , pcm, and bcm's from one car to the next now he just created a 1500 plus dollar no start due to modules getting messed up from talking to incorrect ones.

or just live with the cluster you have.
Old 07 Apr 2008, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for info, when i talked to the dealer they said all I had to do was change it and that it would be right, sounded too good to be true. I have lived with it for a while but really just wanted to know for sure
Old 07 Apr 2008, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

theres really nothing to calibrate,
speed sensors in the trans give the pcm and tcm inputs for vehical speed and that info is bused to the cluster.
so the cluster just takes the input and shows you what its being told

the only thing that would change your speedo would be if you have the wrong tire size for the set pinion factor in the controlers
Old 07 Apr 2008, 11:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Can the speedo's be dismantled a bit? I would think they use the same speedo with a different face. If you were able to get a junkyard special, remove the face and put it on yours, I would think it would work. I'm guessing, I could be wrong too... Your odometer would still be in km's tho.

Otherwise just enjoy the fake feeling of speed as you watch your 0-60 time! Feel good cruising the freeway at 120!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.