Rear pass. seat release button broke Help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdjaybird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2008, 01:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to hoppyloop Send a message via Yahoo to hoppyloop
Question Rear pass. seat release button broke Help

My rear seat fold down is broke button and rod came out anyone know how i can release to fix dealer wants 150 to fix. driver side has the pull cord but not pass. side.2004 PT will try pic. as soon as i learn more posting training

Last edited by hoppyloop; 25 Apr 2008 at 01:09 pm. Reason: Hope someone can help
Old 14 Aug 2015, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rear pass. seat release button broke Help

Yes I have the same problem. The release button and metal rod came out and now I cant reattach and get the seat to fold down.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For a 2004 PT, the best option is just a salvage back seat. I see them all the time that are practically perfect in the 1st Gen PT's.

I figure you can snag a half back seat for $50 or less depending on the salvage yard and where you live. I could grab each of you one in either Taupe cloth or Taupe leather for about $30 each. But the shipping would make it very high. It's something you just about have to grab for yourself.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Rear pass. seat release button broke Help

Thanks for the suggestion
Replacing the entire seat just because the release button came off seems kinda overkill. You'd think there would be a way to repair the mechanism besides replacing the entire seat but thats the way so many things are these days. Thank you tho for taking the time to respond.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From a cost and labor standpoint, it's really not overkill to just swap seats. At least not where there are good pull-it-yourself salvage yards. Salvage PT's are very plentiful and the seats come out like suitcases with a handle and all.

If you can determine what part of the rear seat latch is broken, it might be possible to just replace that part even thought that will take more time than just replacing the whole thing. Also, the rear seat latch mechanism may be frozen and the latch itself may only be broken because it was too hard to pull. Let us know what you find out and post a photo of the broken part if you can.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 08:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

you are probably right and I can inquire if there are any salvage yards hereabout however i thought you could not unbolt:confused the seats without first getting the back seat to fold down and then pull the release on the side to remove the actual seat
Old 15 Aug 2015, 09:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjaybird View Post
you are probably right and I can inquire if there are any salvage yards hereabout however i thought you could not unbolt:confused the seats without first getting the back seat to fold down and then pull the release on the side to remove the actual seat

After thinking about this a little, not sure how the G1 seats are setup.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 15 Aug 2015 at 09:09 am.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjaybird View Post
Yep..

You will have to get the latch on the broken seat to release at least once to get it out.

Here's what it looks like under there:

It may be possible to get something up under it to pull the mechanism even thought the lever is broken.

The alternative might be drastic. But at times like this, my rural Arkansas backwoods upbringing kicks in. I might take a large crowbar and "gently bow" the back bottom part of the seat up enough to use a chop saw on the back hooks that are holding the seat down.

Of course, that would be a lot of work just to regain the ability to remove the backseat. But hey, if it made sense, we'd all be on the Honda or Toyota forum right now.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

funny....
well, i've had my problems with my Toyota, let me tell ya!
my physician husband who is always up for a good challenge did laparoscopic surgery on the darn thing after getting the seat out, somehow managed to reattach the back seat tumble release mechanism
he had to remove the seat fabric and needed special tools ( star bit screwdrivers ) and was a two hour long process but as I always tell him.....You can fix anything!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.