Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Touring Edition - Lower lights never turn off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2008, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Touring Edition - Lower lights never turn off

I just bought a used 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition yesterday from my Toyota retailer.
It's only got about 14,000 miles on it so it's not that old.

I've attached a picture so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Note: The car in the picture is not my personal car, but I'm using it to give you a better idea of the lights I'm talking about.

Anyways, I noticed that the circled lights are only off when the car is off.
When the car is on, the lights are always on.
I was under the impression that those were fog lights and that they weren't supposed to be lit unless I turned them on... but maybe I'm mistaken?

I've tried fooling around with the fog light switch on the left multifuction switch (pulling it out/pushing it in) but it has no effect.
Even when the upper lights are turned on, the lower lights are always on. Like I said, they are ALWAYS lit, unless the car is turned off.

To make things even more confusing for myself:
I've got a separate on/off switch that can be used to turn those lights on while the car is off. Now, THAT switch works. I can choose to have those lights on or off while the car is off, it's just that as soon as I turn the car on, those lights never turn off no matter what I do.

Is that normal behavior for this model or is something wrong?

Thanks a bunch guys.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention:
The dashboard light for the 'fog lights' is never on through any of this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg annoying.jpg (46.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by EmeraldICE; 12 Apr 2008 at 04:17 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Touring Edition - Lower lights never turn off

EmeraldICE, Welcome to the Forum!!

You don't mention where you are from, but could this be a PT built for Canada? Don't they have to have lights on when the ignition is on?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Apr 2008, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm from Georgia. I have no idea if this car is built for Canada. I have seen that in the manual though and that crossed my mind because as you said, they do have to always have lights on. But wouldn't the fog light switch be taken out in their model?
Old 12 Apr 2008, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
1) Fog are optional, so for Canada the driving lights wouldn't be the fogs.
2) sounds like the classic symptoms of the multi-function switch death.

Do a search on multi-function switch - many have replaced it themselves.

You might get dealer to do it if you haven't had the car for long...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Apr 2008, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's what I was worried about.
So, those are in fact the fog lights? That's what I thought.

I'll check with my dealer. If they won't fix it for free, I may just live with it for now... just wanted some clarification as to whether or not this behavior was indeed a flaw.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmm...
Now that I think of it...
The manual says that the fog lights are optional... so it may be possible that I don't even have them.

Would that explain the behavior?

I noticed that when I first start up the car (when all of your dashboard lights come on momentarily) that the fog light icon is not there at all.

I don't know.
Just a thought.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since you car is used, prior owner may have installed the lights themselves and done some creative wiring...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Apr 2008, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Very true.
They must have been a pretty creative person.