Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A question for the paint experts on here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Default A question for the paint experts on here

I use to have a very clean 1988 Red Berretta GTU.I always used Diamond paint sealant (can't find it any more) or more recently Liquid Glass on it. See links below.

After doing up my Cruiser, the car/paint seems to have some kind of a "static cling" to it. Dust will settle and stay put even if I am driving at 50 mph. When I "Hollywood Brush it" the dust just slides across the car and pools on it.
It act the same with a terri cloth towel. I was wondering if the Metal Flake in the Inferno Red paint has something to do with it. Has anyone else experience this problem or have I got a weird polarized PT paint job. Thanks

Jim

Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: A question for the paint experts on here

ive never heard of metallic flake paint being polarized. you could try the old hanging chain fromt eh chassis to the ground in an effort to defeat static. did this problem just start recently, say when you started using the new sealant?
Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:49 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the reply, Cartman. No, the cruiser actually did it when I first got it. I thought that maybe the surface was rough and that a smooth glass-like finish, like on my 1988 Berretta GTU, would let dust just slide off. Wrong. A towel or a "Hollywood Brush" just sems to slide the dust into a pile, even on the vertical surface, where you think it would just fall off.

I kind of hate the thought of hanging a chain down, like those home fuel oil delivery trucks I use to see when I was kid.

Jim
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: A question for the paint experts on here

I've got a 2006 PT with INferno Red Pearlcoat, and have no such problem.
I am using both Adams and Meguires products. So, it could be the wax or sealant you are using.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnHskrJim View Post
I kind of hate the thought of hanging a chain down, like those home fuel oil delivery trucks I use to see when I was kid.

Jim
Instead of doing that, I'd check the grounds from the chassis to the strut. The front struts on this car both have ground straps that run to the strut body to help discharge electricity to the ground visivis the wheels better.