PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking to buy a 2001 PT Cruiser; asking for advise

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2008, 04:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Looking to buy a 2001 PT Cruiser; asking for advise

I'm thinking of selling my 1995 Saturn SL1 (108,000 miles) for a 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Edition (104,000 miles / 5 speed).

I haven't owned a Chrylser Product since 1990; Plymouth Horizon.

I tried to use the search function in FAQ, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I know that if I purchase the PT Cruiser, it will need some maintenance; timing belt, oil pump, plugs and wire, etc..

My questions is: What problem areas do I look for prior to purchasing? I'm not familiar with the problem areas of the PT Cruiser. I'm a competent mechanic and would be doing most of the work myself.

I'm also concerned about gas mileage due to the price of fuel. I know the PT Cruiser won't get the same mileage as the Saturn, but I don't want to take a 10 MPG hit on highway fuel mileage. I would be happy if the PT Cruiser would break 30 MPG highway, but not 27 MPG or less.

The seller is asking $3800. I could sell my Saturn for $1500 and step up into a newer car with more features.

Any help would be appreciated!

I hope everything works out and I become a member of your club!

Last edited by kkspeed; 15 Apr 2008 at 04:34 am.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 05:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Looking to buy a 2001 PT Cruiser; asking for advise

Welcome aboard kkspeed,

I am kinda new here myself and have only had my 2005 Cruiser for a few months so I am not an expert, but when I bought mine (from a dealer) with 45,000 miles on it he mentioned it had new front control arms installed recently. I thought that was odd but didn't really think much about it until reading in this forum about others who have had deteriorating front control arm BUSHINGS even as low as 30,000 miles.. I hear aftermarket bushings are fairly inexpensive and not too difficult to replace though..
Old 15 Apr 2008, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkspeed View Post
I would be happy if the PT Cruiser would break 30 MPG highway, but not 27 MPG or less.
Welcome to the forum, but I don't think we'll be seeing much of you. WHY, because except for the exceptional few of us, the PT is averaging a lot less than what you want in fuel mileage. Most of us are in the low 20's with some complaining that they can't even reach that. There seems to be a large swing in what owners are averaging, but most are low.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Looking to buy a 2001 PT Cruiser; asking for advise

Welcome KKSpeed!

First of all...why buy only a 2001 with such high mileage?? Why not a 2005 or later; that I have seen for not much more?
Even though you are a good mechanic, why ask for so much upkeep?

Secondly..you'll barely get "nearly" 30 MPG on the highway. I have a 2006 Touring, NA, 5-Speed, AirRaid intake system, with over 13,000...and have only gotten that one time, mostly a highway trip and downwind!! Probably only get around 25 MPG around town in my daily driving.

But the NA 5-speed is the way to go for the best mileage. I won't ever see but 25-27 on my turbo vert!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum kspeed. MPG will avg anywhere from 17-19 city and 24-28 highway. I really like the PT and will take the "hit" on mileage.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A used PT Cruise caught my attention due to its asking price, styling and carrying capacity. I can load a lot of equipment in the back of a PT Cruiser with the rear seats folded down.

At this time, I don't want to spend more than $5000 for a vehicle.

I'm also considering a Ford Focus Wagon, but they don't have the style of a PT Cruiser.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 02:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

The other thing to consider is you are probably coming up to the point of needing the timing belt done. If you do the work yourself it shouldn't be too expensive. From what I've heard it's fairly labor intensive tho.

The PT is a great car and if I baby mine my mileage isn't too bad. I normally get about 25-27 mpg/tank but that's imperial. That's between 21-23mpg US. That normally includes a healthy amount of romping, can't have carbon in the engine! On a road trip I averaged 36mpg (30mpg US) with a best tank of 39.7mpg (33.5 mpg US). You should do better with a five speed.

I've hauled a ton of stuff in my car. I have a computer cabinet that I loaded in without a problem. I hauled four 36" super swamper tires for my brother's truck with the seats out and they fit with room for a 4" lift kit and a set of hedders. Just recently I went to the tire shop with a set of 26" tires for my quad. They fit in the car easy with no air, but got really big when inflated. The guy there laughed at me when I popped the back to put them in.
"You have too small of a car for those huge tires, you NEVER fit them in there!"
I laughed, shoved my sub to the side, flipped the seats forward, and loaded the tires. He gave me a weird look! I've also slept in the car on a road trip. It makes a very comfy bed if you fold the seats down and bring a mattress.

The PT is a VERY practical car, and it sure looks better than a Focus. I think you'd enjoy it, the only thing is the fuel mileage might be just a bit less than you'd like.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 16 Apr 2008, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ben,

I agree with you 100%!

That is why the PT Cruiser caught my attention. I have a small business selling computers and want a vehicle that has decent carrying capacity.

My only knock on the car is the fuel mileage. It appears to get the same mileage as a Ford Crown Victoria 18 city / 26 highway.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The PT doesnt get great MPG... expect low 20's at best(since its 5 speed) & maybe 26-27MPG highway.Timing belt is costly even buying the parts yourself-about $600- my mechanic did what you are doing,,he bought a 2002 PT 5speed with 95K miles for $3,200.00-he came from a Ford F150 so an improvement on MPG but not great....PT though is very comfortable for long rides & has room to put alot of things in it- its a mini-station wagon & can be bought fairly cheap!........if you want decent MPG go for a Honda Element or Scion lunch box.----- good luck.. MJB

Last edited by mjb457; 17 Apr 2008 at 07:58 pm.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Run! run! run! from it as fast as you can. The '01 pt cruiser is the biggest turd that Chrysler has dropped on us. In the 3yrs. I have owned mine I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, temp. sensor, fans, head gasket, computer, power steering pump, other minor repairs and fixes, and now replacing the oil pump. What a pile of crap.
mnahmnah likes this.