PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
leaky rack and pinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2008, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tm05cruiser
Default leaky rack and pinion

ok today i changed the trannsmission filter and fluid and put new front pads on my wifes 2005 pt . I noticed the rack was leaking out of the boots on both sides . Called the dealer to see if it was still under warranty sais no because of the in service date . They want about 600.00 to put a new one in. I cant believe a 2005 with 33000 miles on it should have this problem. I have a 99 Ranger 4x4 with 110000 miles on it with the original rack. I was thinking on writing to Chrysler and complaining , does anyone think it will do any good . Thanks
Old 21 Apr 2008, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: leaky rack and pinion

Writing Chrysler may work as well as a phone call to them. You may want the dealer to inform you when the Service Rep comes in and then talk to them. I agree that it isn't right for that to happen.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Apr 2008, 07:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

My 05 (RIP) steering rack began leaking at 12,000 miles! It took four repairs (and two new rack and pinions). It was finally fixed at 34,000 miles. Just an FYI--the racks were not what was bad in the first place. The power steering pump was putting out too much pressure and blowing the seals. Since you also have an 05, it is possible you have the same issue.

Mine got fixed under warranty--this is certainly an issue Chrysler should be aware of by now. I have heard of others having the same problem. I agree that this is not something that should happen on a low mileage car--mine was not even a year old when it all started. I had an 11-year-old Mazda with almost 200,000 miles on it and never had to replace anything on the steering! I think the PT (and Chrysler in gerneral) has some crappy steering assemblies, myself. My sister's 2001 Chrysler breeder van has been nothing but trouble with the steering.

Last edited by PurplePTGirl; 21 Apr 2008 at 07:52 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well i talked to chrysler today ,they said to take it to the dealer and have it inspected for the problem, she called the dealer and gave the sevice manager her name and number to contact her after they look at it . I asked her if i could expect Chrysler to take care of the problem , even if it is out of warranty, she told me she would do everything she could, but i might have to pay 100.00 deductible ,which is fine with me. better than 600 plus. It is only 20 days out of warranty , so i sure hope they take care of it. I will let everyone know how it turns out
Old 25 Apr 2008, 09:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm05cruiser View Post
Well i talked to chrysler today ,they said to take it to the dealer and have it inspected for the problem, she called the dealer and gave the sevice manager her name and number to contact her after they look at it . I asked her if i could expect Chrysler to take care of the problem , even if it is out of warranty, she told me she would do everything she could, but i might have to pay 100.00 deductible ,which is fine with me. better than 600 plus. It is only 20 days out of warranty , so i sure hope they take care of it. I will let everyone know how it turns out
Good luck!!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the chrysler dealer called me today after looking at the rack and pinion on my 05 pt cruiser and said it was indeed leaking. Said they would replace it free of charge to me under warranty. Kinda restores my faith in Chrysler . With only 33000 miles on it and 20 some days out of warranty, I would think they would take care of it. But the dealer originally told me they would not because of it being out of warranty . I guess my call to Chrysler ,must have helped. Anyway , i should have it back on Friday with a new rack in it .