PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome Side Mirror Cover Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2008, 12:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Chrome Side Mirror Cover Question

First off....don't laugh!
My PT side mirrors are non folding and they're not black metal like the sides of the car, not quite sure what to call it but I think most of you know the material its made out, like black plastic.
Ok my dilemma is - I park my car at a meeting point, a carpooler's home off a country road. There is a cardinal bird that was there all last summer, the winter and still there. Another girl and I take turns driving to the meeting point. This bird loves to perch on our side mirror and of course make a mess down the side of the car which I clean as soon as I get home. He does both sides of the car. But is little feet is starting to make scratches in the black plastic. If I put chrome covers on there do you think he will just scratch the chrome too? Should I just leave it til its gets bad enough and then put chrome on it? Opinions please!!! Yes I do know its a cardinal because if we have to wait for the van he is so brazen he will sit on the mirror and look into the car at me! LOL He also looks in a window at the house. Anyone know the life span of a cardinal?

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 25 Apr 2008, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome Side Mirror Cover Question

I think the chrome will attract the birds even more-so than the black mirrors BUT it might not be able to get a good grip on the shiny chrome BUT it will try and probably scratch those also.

I'd try something like they do to the globe lights at parks (at least I've seen them down here) and stick something temporarily to the top of each mirror so it couldn't perch there.

One half of a velcro strip that you'd hardly notice (black) on the mirror top and something that will deter the bird from landing on the mirror on the other half of the velcro strip. When you come to the car just take the top half off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Anyone know the life span of a cardinal? 12 guage-not long.

We have friends who had the same problem, they sprayed their windows with Simple Green which made it non-reflecting. Doesn't look very nice, but it solved their problem with "THE" Cardinal.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Apr 2008, 02:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Cover your mirrors with double sided tape. If there's a cat in the area, there should only be feathers on the tape when you get back to the car! If you get the chrome covers maybe you could look into a clear covering. I believe 3M makes different transparent coverings that help with paint chips on hoods and such.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 27 Apr 2008, 09:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Chrome Side Mirror Cover Question

You've got to be kidding me Jolie!!
Is it the bright red male Cardinal; or the dull red/brown female?
If it's the female, you may have your hands full.
If it's the male - YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Just kidding! How about a distraction, like something attached on you antenae to attract them. Or, your rear hatch is big enough to transport a portable feeder...like some 2x4s cut and crossed.
(Bird lover here)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!