PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2002 Bumper and Dash Recall Questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2009, 09:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Bumper and Dash Recall Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme1493 View Post
It costs about 700.00 with parts and labor to replace the dash.
Seriously? Is that a quote from your local dealer? I checked awhile back and I'm sure the cost of a dash top from Chrysler was less than $250. It's not $450-hard to get the top out.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes this estimate was done today in bartow florida Tom Edwards Chrysler in order to file complaint with Chrysler. the dashboard was a little over 200.00 the rest was labor.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree about the $200 for part, but I'd ask to replace it myself, it isn't that hard. Why should you pay that large amount hoping that Chrysler MAY reimburse you. Do you think they would give that amount for labor?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Jul 2009, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 2002 Bumper and Dash Recall Questions?

Thank you for the #
Old 05 Nov 2009, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just noticed the dash of my 2002 cracked, very disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. I am the original owner and it has been taken care of, I don't even go through car washes, it is hand washed, waxed and detailed by me! My car has been making cracking noises for 2 summers whenever the air is turned on. Now I know it was cracking from underneath, working it's way to the top. Sometimes when I turn on the heat or the air, there is nothing coming out of the vents but I can hear the fan running. My own theory, the vents are pumping air under the dash directly on the bottom of the dash, drying it out. No amount of Armorall is going to protect this.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 2002 Bumper and Dash Recall Questions?

I have a 2002 PT cruiser and the dashboard cracked down the middle and I have tape marks on the bumpers. I am the original owner and have never received anything from Chyrsler about this problem/recall and the dealership never mentioned it when I had it serviced. I am calling Chrylser since this seems to be a major complaint by many. I am ready to trade in for a 2005 PT cruiser convertible and need to sell my 2002. The cracked dashboard will deter me from getting a fair price for the car...otherwise it is in very good condition and I've never had any other problems with it.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck on your call. The dealer would have replaced or painted the bumpers if you would have gone to them with your complaint in a reasonable amount of time after you picked up your vehicle. The dash is another matter. Chrysler is a different company now with FIAT a majority stockholder. Your not going to them with a petition of hundreds of owners with a life threatening matter. Thousands of us had no problems with the dash at all.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 2002 Bumper and Dash Recall Questions?

I didn't realize others were having a problem until I found this site yesterday. Now i will be proactive with the 2005 pt I'm getting.
It would be interesting to hear from 2001 and 2002 PT owners to see if there are thousands whose dashboards are still in tack. I paid $27,000 for my 2001 limited when it came off the line. People were waiting on back orders for their PT's. I expected the dash to last longer at the orginal prices they were selling them for in 2001.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 09:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I paid 22K for a fully loaded 2001 Limited in September of 2000 and the dash is in perfect shape. I do use a sunshade on the PT and all my cars because I know what the Florida heat can do. It's one of the preventative measures I do with all the cars I own because I tend to keep them for many years including my 23 year old Corvette with 154,000 miles and it'll still stand up in a show alongside any newer model.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 25 Apr 2010, 09:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

I HAD A 2002 BASE PT I JUST TRADED FOR A 2004 ABOUT A MONTH AGO .NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH DASH CRACKING IT HAD 137.000 MILES ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS THE TAPE MARKS ON BUMBER WAS A FACTORY DEFECT . I DID HAVE IT PAINTED BECAUSE I HATED THE WAY IT LOOKED