Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
which one...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2008, 08:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Default which one...

I know it's subjective, but which PT would you go after and why? I know they are two completely different PTs.....

Main objectives:
safe family friendly vehicle
fun to take on cruises (hubby is into classic cars but our budget does not allow for that so this is our next best thing!)
fun to drive around town
safe for cross country trips (family in Indiana we are in Maryland)
affordable (hubby is undergoing cancer treatment (although cancer FREE!) and so we don't want a car payment)

Power Car Search - Vehicle Details

or

http://www.autoguide.com/used_cars/W...WT.mc_id=13117

Thanks!@

I'm hoping maybe you all can point out some issues I'm not seeing in these two cars..
Old 02 May 2008, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: which one...

First one has auto trans, second has stick. Does it matter to you what it has?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 May 2008 at 08:43 am.
Old 02 May 2008, 12:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

I knew I was missing SOMETHING on that one... lol.. Neither my husband or myself know how to drive a manual.. is it difficult to learn?
Old 02 May 2008, 12:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Actually I just went to the same car, different ad for it and it's actually an automatic, I think the part that says manual is just talking about the PT cruisers in general..

GetAuto.com Vehicle Detail Page

Automatic With Overdrive, Fuel Injected, 4 Cyl., 2.4, 4 Dr Wagon
Old 02 May 2008, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, if you like to stand out in a crowd, the maroon with wood and flames will surely do that. If you want to blend in, the black one won't get you noticed. There's only 4K difference between them but $2300 difference plus one year. Knock off $500 from either of them and maybe up to $1000 off the price of the 02 since a custom car is harder to get rid of at a dealers lot because there's less of a market for them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 May 2008, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

maroon with wood and flames !! let us know what you get !!
Old 02 May 2008, 03:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm soo excited we are going to go test drive the flaming wood tomorrow... hahaha.

Any advice on haggling? This is our first experience.. hubby bought his first car (2002 cavvy brand new with no haggling ) and I was (until Tuesday when I got in my wreck) still driving a car I had in high school that my dad bought (1998 loaded grand prix)... soo.. we are new to all this!!

And really I'm new to cars in general.. I never had an interest until I started looking into a car to replace my grand prix.. I just got hooked on the PT's and am actually getting into the modifications and all that exciting stuff!
Old 02 May 2008, 11:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

welcome to modified cars, and the PT's the coolest one on the block!

If you have looked through many cars and colours, and you love the purple and the woody look then go for it, you can play uninterested in the moda with the dealer and haggle down, it will save you lots over buying a 'blank canvas' and making the mods yourself.
Old 03 May 2008, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

SOO!!
We went and test drove the purple flaming woody. I lovvvved it!!! It drove really well. The intererior was perfect.. the only problems were 1. there were a ton of knicks in the paint... The paint so they said costs 250 a quart.. so it's going to be pricey to fix. 2. There was a crack in the windshield 3. the car had obviously been on the lot for a while since they had to jump it.. the battery was completely dead.

So we talked them from 7,995 down to 6,900 but that's not including their 400 dollar dealer fees + taxes..

We walked on it. They said they would talk to their paint guys and their windshield guys and call us back by Wed. We really need them to drop it though more... I mean, obviously they aren't getting a lot of offers since they had to jump it... so any advice on getting them to drop it lower?

In the meantime we are going to try out a few more.
Old 03 May 2008, 08:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

My heart would be on that flaming woody, too, but it sounds like a possible bad deal. The battery may be dead from sitting--or there could be another problem, like the alternator or some sort of short that drains it. I would want an absolutely thorough inspection on that. I have seen base 2005's selling for $8000 (I researched the prices when my 2005 was totalled in January, in order to keep tabs on the insurance company settlement). I think their asking price seems pretty ridiculous. While mods are cool for the owner, they often do not translate to a higher value for the car, because only specific people would want a car like that one. I would research similar cars and make them an offer and if they go for it, they do, if not, then you are better off.

I too walked on a super cute PT--a 2005 purple GT vert (my wrecked pt was also purple, and I loved that color!) But it had alignment issues and the AC didnt work--then I found out it had been a rental car. That sealed it, I walked away from that one, even though the dealer would have fixed the AC and aligned the car. Again, who knows if the AC would have been truly repaired, or would they have just added refrigerant? Was it a simple alignment (all the dealer would have done) or was the steering rack in need of replacement (at my expense after the 30 day warranty expired?). I didnt need the headache--who knew what that car had been driven over? It was from Arizona, perhaps it was an off road thing! LOL So I was patient and found my gorgeous black beauty with absolutely no problems at all.

Last edited by PurplePTGirl; 03 May 2008 at 08:35 pm.