Advertisements
Upholstery cleaning question

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2008, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Upholstery cleaning question

Greetings fellow PT Cruiser Owners,

Just recently purchased a used 2006 Cruiser and trying to get some stains off the upholstery. I tried using Gonzo stain remover (usually works on anything) and then tried Turtle Wax's Oxy cleaner. Problem is, I got the stain out but now there are stains (water marks) on the area I applied to cleaners. Anyone know how to clean it or what would be the best product to use? I reviewed forums on Meguiars, with people recommending the All Purpose Cleaner Plus to clean the fabric, but what would you guys recommend? Is there a cleaning product that would work properly or should I just get it professionally done? I live in San Diego, so if there are any fellow Cruiser owners who would recommend a good detailer near here that would be perfect.

Thanks,
John
Old 08 May 2008, 09:34 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Upholstery cleaning question

I just bought a 2006 PT in Feb with 300 miles on it. Even rain leaves stain marks on the upholstery I have a post out there about seatcovers and there is a post from a fellow PT'r on here that says he cleaned the whole seat after snowflakes left marks. That's what I did so there would be no water marks, let dry, scotchgard, and then bought some nice seat covers at Walmart that match pretty darn good. Now I don't worry about the seats. I can easily take the covers off if needed. It was the best $37 I spent and they don't move around.

Front Seat Covers for '06 Touring

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 08 May 2008, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Jolie,

I will definitely scotch guard the seats once this issue is resolved, but man is it a hassle. You think Chrysler would have been aware of this issue right now and would have resolved it. Do you know if Chrysler makes any seat covers for the Cruiser. I just don't want something that's not going to fit the seats properly when I put them on, you know. I think I'm going to take it to a detailer to get it done, scotch guard it, and then take it from there.

Thanks for the advice!

John
Old 08 May 2008, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Upholstery cleaning question

This may irritate someone...but I feel compelled to chime in.
I, myself was one of the posters on dealing with water spots on the cloth seats!
NO auto manufacturer makes cloth seats that don't need cleaned when soiled, or get water spots! Sorry! Get over it! If you don't want the problem, get leather! ....well, or seat covers.
***But, I paid for good looking seats, myself! I've never seen a really good looking seat cover to complement the auto to suit my taste. The last time I had a seat cover was on my 1960 Ford Falcon! When the driver's seat on my 1997 Caravan got torn, I went to a local shop that recovered it so well, it looked like a new seat - perfect match!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 08 May 2008, 10:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Leather is the way to go!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 09 May 2008, 04:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, Yeah guys. I know, I like leather but my girlfriend is a nanny and that would just be even more of a mess with kids. I wasn't saying Chyrsler should make some magical stain resistant seat (granted the did come out with the fabric by YES Essentials, but that wasn't until 2007), but you think there would be a fabric that wouldn't be such a pain in the ass to clean. I was just trying to get answer on how to deal with this thing. Either through recommended products that would clean the seats properly (it's on the front and rear passenger seats), steam cleaning, or professional detailing. If anyone here had this problem and found a solution that worked best for them, by all means I would greatly appreciate that useful information.

Thanks for all your responses

-John
Old 09 May 2008, 08:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry if my response post offended anyone. I've never had a car that had seat material like this. I'm very happy with the solution I came up with, the seat covers I got are pretty close to the originals and I like the fact that they aren't like the seat covers from the 60's and 70's my parents use to put on the moved around all over the place. In my search on the net and stores and ebay I believe they selling the "Low bucket" seat covers like I purchased at Walmart, on ebay as PT Cruiser ones. They do fit perfect but the one place I had to work with was the receiver part of the seat belt. The seatcover bunched there so I cut a slice just big enough for it to go thru in the velour part of the cover and stitched around it. Now it fits nice and smooth.
I really wish I could afford to have them redone in leather like the guy who posted pics of his, I believe from the UK but don't quote me on that. They were beautiful. Its just not in my budget, I prefer to have my PT and a higher fuel bill and drive a car I love sooooooo much and be happy with my $37 solution and not complain about about the mpg. Now if I win the Mega Millions this weekend.....leather it is!

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 11 May 2008, 10:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: Upholstery cleaning question

Llighten up soonercruiser a bit... Leather seats pose another problem...it is cold in winter and hot in summer unless you can keep it in a garage all the time... or a sun shield at the winshield. Make sure that you use leather cleaner/conditioner to keep them from cracking and tearing. When new they can be cleaned better than cloth seats with spills,etc. I have had leather seats and with age they are a pain in the butt.

Our 2007 has cloth seats a type that I never have seen before but then again my newest vehicle we own before this car is a 97 Chevy van.

Seat covers are ok but not the best looking but if you want less hassle and seats looking new underneath it works.

I saw lamb skin seat covers just for PT. C but go for over $200.00 the kind of money I don't have laying around.

Cleaning the seats on any car that has cloth will always be a difficult task. In that regard what soonercruiser says is true.

I know ask a simple question get an answer that doesn't help much.
Old 11 May 2008, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wink Re: Upholstery cleaning question

"Consider me light"!
That's why I started with an "almost appology". I even had the grandson spill a drink on the back seat of soonercruiser last summer. With enough elbow grease, it cleaned up just fine.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 17 Sep 2008, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i understand all about the elbow grease and making the great effort to get the stains out but i've got to be honest, i have a 2007 with the new fabric and it is the worst fabric i have ever had in a car. every drop of water becomes a major stain no matter how much it is dried. i may go the seat cover route soon but just wanted to know if anyone else was having a similar problem with the new fabric. it looked great when i first got the car but i've had it for just over a year and i don't seem to be able to keep the seats clean no matter what i do. seems like an awful lot of work for a new "state-of-the-art" fabric . . .