Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

cost for replacing lower control arm bushings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2008, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tm05cruiser
Default cost for replacing lower control arm bushings

Just got my wifes 05 cruiser back from the dealer , they replaced the rack and pinion ,under warranty ,after i made a call to Chrysler. Anyhow, she came home from work the other day, and said when she takes off from a stop , she was sometimes hearing a clunk. So i took it for a ride , not all the time , but sometimes on a fast start i would hear it. So i took it home pulled the wheel, and sure enough the lower control arm bushings are junk. It goes in for Pa inspection on tuesday , so i was wondering what i can expect to pay to have these replaced. And also , its the drivers side , the passenger side look ok. But should i have both sides done. Thanks
Old 10 May 2008, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA
Default Re: cost for replacing lower control arm bushings

it's about 45.00 for the engergy suspension front LCA kit. and about 4.00 for a tube of marine grease. if the ball joints are good thats about it. if the ball joints are bad. ie; torn boot you have to replace the ball joints as well. they are 51.00 a set here: Chrysler PT Cruiser Ball Joint | Free Shipping | 2001 - 2005, Moog, Mevotech (get the MOOG they are usa made not cheap china shit) you'll need to press the old joints out and the new in. the new ones are serviceable. you'll never change them again. so i'd say about a 150.00 if you don't have a ball joint press and 115.00 if you do. also there is a nice write up over on ptcrew.com on how to replace the bushings in your LCA's. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 10 May 2008, 06:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm05cruiser View Post
Just got my wifes 05 cruiser back from the dealer , they replaced the rack and pinion ,under warranty ,after i made a call to Chrysler. Anyhow, she came home from work the other day, and said when she takes off from a stop , she was sometimes hearing a clunk. So i took it for a ride , not all the time , but sometimes on a fast start i would hear it. So i took it home pulled the wheel, and sure enough the lower control arm bushings are junk. It goes in for Pa inspection on tuesday , so i was wondering what i can expect to pay to have these replaced. And also , its the drivers side , the passenger side look ok. But should i have both sides done. Thanks
I had the same EXACT problem. I took it to the repair shop I last had it worked on - The mechanic said he tighten a few loose bolts, and that did it. This was not 2wks after my lower control arms were replaced, and my wheel bearings were done.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 10 May 2008, 09:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Taggert_LOA where is that wright up on how to repair lca on the ptcrew site?
Old 11 May 2008, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

yes there is.
Old 11 May 2008, 06:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I think he asked "where" not "no there isn't".

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 09 Jul 2010, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

to purchase parts yourself is under 20 dollars a side, for shop it is 4 to 4.5 shop hours plus parts... I saw something online about AC Delco control arm bushing it features a silent-bloc metal sleeve/rubber design for exceptional durability alignment, and ride stability.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004PTCruiser View Post
Taggert_LOA where is that wright up on how to repair lca on the ptcrew site?
It's under the Mod Bible at:

HOW TO: Energy Suspension front control arm bushings.

Good luck! It looks like a little bit of a chore.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

I found a local guy to me that does work by what he thinks it should cost not by hour. He charged me $80 to replace both control arms. Bushings were shot along with the ball joints. So I got the Moog control arms from rockauto.com for under $200 shipped for both, which included the ball joints