Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas mileage, paint and other irriating things

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2008, 09:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Gas mileage, paint and other irriating things

We now own a 2007 PT.Cruiser in the COOL VANILLA color. My wife drives it but when I do I push the button in the dash for info. and see 15.3 miles to the gallon and I just get alittle irritated since I just filled it up. With gas rising around here at another dime today,359.9 a gallon of regular to be exact it makes me wonder why a 4 cylindar is so poor on gas. I have read somewhere on here about changing a few things to make it get better gas mileage. It has 20,000 miles on the 2007 touring PT. It is non-turbo and I was told that the factory wires and plugs are junk and to put racing wires on it. I was told to get a K&N filter. The only thing is HOW DO I get that BIG BLACK thing off under the hood to get to the plugs and wires? I don't want to pay $107.00 to our mechanic to put our bought parts on it since this is just labor charges. Now it is still under warranty till Feb.2009 and the open air cone type of air filter would put it into jeopardy wouldn't it? I could buy the sheet cake style K&N filter instead and that would be ok but would it work as well? Anyone out there give me any advice on this please!

The paint on the car seems to be great but while putting on my front license plate(NO I didn't put it on the middle front bumper. It's down on the lower right passanger side grill area done with a custom plate hook up.) I noticed the underside of the body was scraped up pretty bad. I want to repaint it but wondered if I should sand it smooth first or would that weaken the area too much? I know it's that plastic material so rust would never be a problem but I like my cars looking good all over!

Has there been any other parts whether interior or exterior to look forward to replace due to quick wear? There always seems to be something that goes out quickly in any car. I noticed that there are plastic holders(rectangular w/rounded ends) with rubber bushings that turn under them on the top of the front part of the engine. They fit over small posts that seem to help hold the front radiator in place or air-conditioning condensor- it's hard to tell- into cross member with holes in it. The rubber part goes into the crossmember and turns to lock it into place. The top hard plastic part sits on top. One of them is broken and I can't get it to seat into the hole as one of the small posts is off to one side of the hole and the other holding the other post in place is off center. Anyone have an answer for this and should it be covered under warranty?

We love the car and think it is still COOL looking after all these years. I just want to be prepared for things that might or will happen. We also noticed many people own these cars our way in Southern TX. I was thinking of starting a club with Sonic in mind to meet.

Last edited by wasmussen; 10 May 2008 at 10:14 pm. Reason: Misspellings of course:)
Old 10 May 2008, 11:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Gas mileage, paint and other irriating things

First off - Your post is not irregular! People are always asking why their gas mileage sucks...All PT's are pretty much the same. You can do some things to your car to get that extra 1-3MPG difference, but it will always be in the low-mid 20's. Don't be suprised if it's in the teens in the city. As everyone always says "The PT is about as aerodynamic as a brick" - It's true.

I personally have a sheet cake sytle (Drop-In) air filter by K&N and its awesome. I noticed no improved gas milage, and very little to no horsepower increase. Unless you remove some weights in the car (Back seats, spare tire, passenger rear main tire (jk!)) your gas mileage is not going to be great.

For your body questions, I couldn't tell you. I'm sure someone will get back to you on that!

Welcome to the forums!!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 18 May 2008, 03:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Another option is to import a 2.2 diesel PT from another country. 45 mpg and a more powerful block then the petrol block.
Old 18 May 2008, 10:32 am
Cool Cruiser

I also have a Cool Vanilla 07. Bought mine new this Jan. I don't have the digital display because I have a base w/ stick shift, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to that digital MPG thing. Just fill it up, then drive it till the fuel light comes on, reset the trip odometer, then fill up again. Take the amount of gas to top off the second tank and divide that into the number of miles you went. That's the most accurate MPG you'll get. With the automatic, you'll probably get about 20MPG in mixed driving if you don't drive it too hard.
Old 18 May 2008, 01:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
I also have a Cool Vanilla 07. Bought mine new this Jan. I don't have the digital display because I have a base w/ stick shift, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to that digital MPG thing. Just fill it up, then drive it till the fuel light comes on, reset the trip odometer, then fill up again. Take the amount of gas to top off the second tank and divide that into the number of miles you went. That's the most accurate MPG you'll get. With the automatic, you'll probably get about 20MPG in mixed driving if you don't drive it too hard.
Yeah, continue driving it until the fuel light comes on and you'll eventually be replacing the fuel pump. Check out the #3 post. MX-5 has been a PT guru around here for a long time.
When does your fuel light come on - PT Forums - The PT Cruiser Enthusiasts and Owners Resource

Figure your mpg with at least 5 fillups. 1-2 tanks is a joke and not very accurate.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 May 2008, 01:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Figure your mpg with at least 5 fillups. 1-2 tanks is a joke and not very accurate.
I agree, I have this chart that goes back to the day I bought it, it shows what I have gotten each tank and what my average is to this day.

Regards
Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 18 May 2008, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Gas mileage, paint and other irriating things

TERRY!!!
"Get a life"! Rent a movie or something!
(just kiddin') (Are you an accountant by any chance?)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 18 May 2008, 09:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
TERRY!!!
"Get a life"! Rent a movie or something!
(just kiddin') (Are you an accountant by any chance?)
Frank

I knew somebody would tell me that I'm really anal.... Nope, not an accountant, Architecture is what I took in school, and I am also a freelance photographer.

I bet you liked my spreadsheet though, didn't you....lol.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit