Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help...No power steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2008, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help...No power steering

I just bought this 01 limited with a 5-speed and it has no power steering. Where should i start, it does have fluid.
Any advice on repairing this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help...No power steering

That was the first major component that failed under warranty on my 01. It was the Power Steering Pump and it's not a do-it-yourself project. Cost about $300 but I only had to pay a $50 deductible.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought this car for next to nothing...hoping to resell and make a little cash.
If its only $300 to fix i'm going to have that done first. Thanks
Old 15 May 2008, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey, I'm not saying that's exactly what's wrong with yours, but there has been a lot of owners with that kind of failure. Have it checked out by someone who knows what to look for before buying one and replacing it as it might be something completely different.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2008, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

My Power Steering on my 01' went as well. Costed me $1,008.00. That was the pump and everything.

Didn't Chrysler recall a belt or something for the power steering?

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 15 May 2008, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post

Didn't Chrysler recall a belt or something for the power steering?

The recall was to check the Power Steering lines that came from the pump and ran underneath the transaxle. Sometimes the lines would rub part of the transaxle and cause a leak which could lead to a fire.

Old 17 May 2008, 11:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

either its the pump or an internal problem in the rack and pinion.
Old 17 May 2008, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i finally got the chance to look into this a little further and discovered that the shaft on the pump worked its way out almost a 1/2" and threw the belt.
Hopefully changing the pump is all i'll have to do. I've only had this car for a week and know nothing about these cars. I bought it really cheap to fix and resell.
Old 18 May 2008, 03:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

My Steering Rack recently failed and had to go to a main dealership to be changed at a cost of 886 which is approx $1772
Old 18 May 2008, 09:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My power steering pump failed on me while i was on the road. I didn't even notice until I got towards home! I bought the replacement one (and a new belt) and with the help of a haynes repair manual, I fixed it myself. It was MUCH cheaper than $300.