Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Moisture inside lamp assemblies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2008, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Moisture inside lamp assemblies

Both the headlight and tail light covers on my 2002 PT retain moisture. (We live in New Orleans, a subtropical climate...very humid conditions.) Water droplets form under the covers, both clouding them and causing lights to blow...3 times in the last couple of months.

Any ideas on how to keep the moisture out of the tail lamps and headlights? Do they make any sort of rubber gasket to fit?
Old 17 May 2008, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Moisture inside lamp assemblies

The lights are supposed to be sealed to keep the moisture out. How about making a small hole or a couple small holes in the housing of each of the lights affected to let more air in to dry up the moisture?

A couple of the aftermarket taillights that I've had over the years actually had small tube like appendages about 1 inch long as big as a thick straw to let air/in/out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2008, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sealed? The ones on mine are nothing more than a plastic lens that fits directly against the metal part of the car. I'm afraid if I drill a few holes the lens would either crack or allow water to go directly into the assembly.

What are yours sealed with? Needs to be something there, for sure.
Old 17 May 2008, 07:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella View Post
nothing more than a plastic lens that fits directly against the metal part of the car.
If you take either the headlight or taillight out/away from the car, the plastic lenses are sealed to the base of each light with only the holes for the bulb holders letting in any air. Once the holders w/bulbs are twisted into place it "almost" becomes a sealed unit hardly letting in any air.

With your subtropical climate where you are, it's enough to cause condensation to form inside each light.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2008, 11:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

a 50/50 dilution of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water swished around inside the headlight will cure the condensation problem. it is important that you do not go above 50% alcohol because it could potentially damage the lenses. you will have to remove the headlamp assemblies to do this.
Old 18 May 2008, 01:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, both of you. I'll try the alcohol. Couldn't hurt.
Old 18 May 2008, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Check the wheel well, I had the same problem. The wheel well was a little loose, I just shoved it somewhere where it was sturdy and that solved the problem.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!