Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dusting???Cleaning Poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2008, 01:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default dusting???Cleaning Poll

I hate to admit it but I have a problem.I am a neat freak especially with my cars. Almost boardering on Obsessive Compulsive...I don't wash my hands over and over but I do clean my cars almost daily. I know I need more of a life...BUT I enjoy it and take pride in my vehicles. It drives me nuts when my son who is 6 puts his fingers on the windows, and leaves garbage in the car ie after a snack on the road. My wife who primarily drives the SUV seems to always leave it full of flyers, reciepts, water bottles, dirt etc...IT DRIVES ME NUTS! My cleaning has become so bad that neighbors tease me"Washing Your Car Again????"...." You have the cleanest cars on the block"...."When can you wash my car?"...etc....I now try to clean them when the neighbors are working...or dust them in my garage"....I just don't undersand how people drive cars with garbage, dust, dirt, cracked windshields etc...Oh well at least I am not a alcholic, druggy, gambler, etc etc..,.Has anyone tried or owned one of those car dusters that picks up dust on the car?We seem to have a lot of wind this spring throwing dust everywhere.Lets take a poll...How many shine there cars more than twice a week?
"
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 19 May 2008, 02:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: dusting???Cleaning Poll

I do... My car is garaged and still gets dust on it if I leave it for a while in there. I use the California car duster and it works pretty good.... If i get a little dirt on her, I use Meguairs Quick Detailer in the new black bottle, supposed to be better than the original. Thats works great too!!

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s

Last edited by StoneWhitePT2; 19 May 2008 at 02:16 pm.
Old 19 May 2008, 02:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've toned down a little since buying my PT earlier this year. I've decided now that I've gotten most every nook and cranny of my PT at least a little wax coverage, I'll only wax once every two weeks, and wash once a week. I might be able to stretch that out over the summer here as the Seattle rain seems to be non-existant during summer, but I do have the bottle of Quick Wax detailer in my car cubby for impromptu cleaning ... epsecially that back hatch. That part of the car just bothers me.

My wife's car is completely nasty. Add to that all the nagging body damage on it, etc that she's not even interested in fixing. Leaves bird crap on it for months at a time. The kids have to adjust fire everytime they switch cars. In thier mom's car, they can eat and do art projects in it. (Which just leads to even more nastiness because noone regulates taking it OUT of the car, so old food and melted crayons can be found in the upholstery) The state of her car is just appalling. After I found out that she was driving on a flat tire for two weeks, I just gave up even wanting to do maintenance on her car now. It's sad because what is now her car, used to be my car when it was brand new. I took extremely good care of it .... untill I handed control over to my wife, it completely went downhill. It's only a 2000 Mazda, and I'm sure I'd be hard pressed to get $1500 out of someone for it ..... it's THAT bad.

When my kids are in my PT Cruiser (or any of my previous cars for that matter), they come to my car and there's no eating allowed (except on cross-country trips) and DEFINITELY no art projects in the car. I was taking my daughter to a sleep-over this last weekend and she insisted she had to cut her nails before she got there. I reached under the seat and grabbed the 12v car Dustbuster I bought and threw it at her and told her to do it over the vacuum.

A new car might not be an 'investment', but if you take crappy care of one it can become a 'money pit'.
Old 19 May 2008, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wash it once a week. Tried using the California Duster and it left streaks on the black because of the early morning heat. I can see the dust after about the 4-5 day. When I arrived in OK, I couldn't wait to wash it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 May 2008, 06:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I wash it once a week. Tried using the California Duster and it left streaks on the black because of the early morning heat. I can see the dust after about the 4-5 day. When I arrived in OK, I couldn't wait to wash it.
Did you leave it out for at least 48 hours after purchasing it and using it.... the duster is treated with wax that wont harm the finish but they say to let the duster dry out for 2 days before use or you will see the wax streaks on the car...

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s
Old 19 May 2008, 06:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

I keep baby wipes in the car, and so normally after every trip I clean off the dash and things like that. I'm trying really hard not to leave trash or anything in the car.. it's a hard habit to break. My car was never dirty, just cluttered from having two kids (not enough hands to grab everything every trip) but now I'm trying to make a big effort.

The bad part right now is the pollen.. it's sooo gross right now!

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie
Old 19 May 2008, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you leave it out for at least 48 hours after purchasing it and using it.... the duster is treated with wax that wont harm the finish but they say to let the duster dry out for 2 days before use or you will see the wax streaks on the car...

The duster is about 3 years old, but kept in its cover. Because of the heat in Florida and the car being black it continued to leave marks.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 May 2008, 07:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

I try to clean and wipe down the interior every day. we live in the desert so the dust is so bad down here, i try to wash every wednesday and sunday. i need to try that duster you guys were talking about, i haven't found one that doesnt scratch the clearcoat. Apparently the previous owner didnt know of one either
Old 20 May 2008, 06:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

u used to be just as bad but have calmed down over the years myself