Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT vs CALIBER MPG????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2008, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default PT vs CALIBER MPG????

Ok I own a PT but am somewhat interested in a Dodge Caliber..why does the Caliber get way better MPG??? If you go to their site the owners all claim mid 20's to mid 30's easily....!! There are basicly no complaints on gas miledge? Both cares are not airodynamic? Is the technology better,,the Caliber has a CVT trans ..any thoughts on anyone that has both--)-I dont want that their ugly comments) both are wagons and serve the same purpose-cheap transportation,,, but the PT sucks up gas! COMMENTS please...
Old 20 May 2008, 04:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: PT vs CALIBER MPG????

The Caliber weighs less.

The base engine is a 2.0 liter, instead of 2.4 like ours.

The 2.4 optional engine they have has a full point compression more and variable valve timing. Even with all that tech in thier 2.4, it's only 2 MPG better than ours.
Old 20 May 2008, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the reply,,so its the 2.0 & CVT,,new technolgy that does it?? Its actually almost 6 MPG better on the highway,,low 30's
Old 20 May 2008, 05:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Comparing apples to apples ..... A Caliber SXT (which has a similar 2.4 liter engine with the aforementioned VVT and 10.5 compression) and a stick shift has 23 city/29 highway. A 2008 PT Cruiser with a stickshift is rated at 21 city/26 freeway. (My 2007's sticker says 22/29 for the same setup showing how EPA numbers changed in 2008) So it's not a HUGE difference when comparing equivalent cars.
Old 20 May 2008, 05:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would have to agree with you when you compare same engine but,,, but than why didnt the PT go with the lower engine & CVT to increase MPG & maybe even more sales,,,, ??? American Auto Manufactures amaze me... Ford though seems to be on track,,,, I guess the $2.99 gas deal/3 years is pretty ingenious! I love my PT & really feel they have awinner but lets make it really work =bring on the best technogy available!
Old 20 May 2008, 07:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think part of what helped the American car companies flourish in the past was not only many different engine types in one car, but also the homoginization of engines in use across all car lines. You could find the car you wanted based on style, then select the engine choice based on your priority of efficiency, power, or a combination of both.

If you look at European car lines, you'll still see this practice employed. For example, the last generation of Renault Clio was available with: 1.2L, 1.4L, 1.6L, and 2.0L gas engines; a 1.9L diesel; and a 3.0L V6 in the top of the line. So the biggest engine available was 250% bigger than the smallest available. Even the PT Cruiser has two additional powertrain options in Europe with the 2.0L gas and a 2.2L diesel in addition to the 2.4 N/A and 2.4 turbo we are limited to.
Old 20 May 2008, 07:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
why didnt the PT go with the lower engine & CVT
A) Most Americans are scared to rev thier engines to the levels usually needed to take advantage of a CVT - even though CVT is far superior technologically and efficiencywise to an automatic

B) Screw CVT or any other transmission that doesn't require you to row gears. It takes the human out of the driving experience. If you're not rowing gears, you might as well take the train or the bus.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I would have to agree with you when you compare same engine but,,, but than why didnt the PT go with the lower engine & CVT to increase MPG & maybe even more sales,,,, ??? American Auto Manufactures amaze me... Ford though seems to be on track,,,, I guess the $2.99 gas deal/3 years is pretty ingenious! I love my PT & really feel they have awinner but lets make it really work =bring on the best technogy available!
That's Chrysler

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 21 May 2008, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: PT vs CALIBER MPG????

Caliber vs PT??!!
BTW - soonercruiser is a 2006 NA, standard tranny, and does get near 29 mpg highway!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!