Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT CRRUISER OR MINI COOPER & WHY??

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2008, 07:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default PT CRRUISER OR MINI COOPER & WHY??

Ok with gas fast approaching $5.00/gallon is it time to trade ?? I out right own my '03 PT with 58K miles.Its in VG-well maintained condition.But it gets 25MPG at best(ouch).I can get a new mini all so fun & a hatch for $22k and 30+MPG.... and great resale..Id probably only get $5k for the Cruiser,,,, I need number crunchers here---- I drive 12,500K per year.The Cruiser probably will cost another 1K to maintain per year(AVERAGE) NO WARRANTY LEFT EXCEPT THE 7/70K Powertrain.....The Mini would come fully protected for 4/48K Ok projecting gas to climb to $6.00/gallon would this be a good move??? Accountants come forward with all & any thoughts..Im confused. Or another type of car but it must be fun!
Old 22 May 2008, 10:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: PT CRRUISER OR MINI COOPER & WHY??

First thing you need to ask yourself is;
How much do you love your cruiser since it's already PAID FOR?
Are you able to handle a car payment for 4 years @ $400+?

@ 12,500 miles the mini would burn @ 30 MPG 416 gals of fuel
@ 12,500 miles the PT would burn @ 22 MPG 568 gals of fuel
THE DIFFERENCE of 152 gals between the PT and the MINI Cooper
@ 5 bucks a gallon would be 760 dollars a year, 63 dollars a month, 14 dollars a week, 2 dollars a day.
@ 6 bucks a gallon the cost difference is 936 dollars a year, 78 dollars a month, 18 dollars a week, 2.60 a day.
Remember the Mini will cost you more to insure and 22 thousand dollars
Fuel is not the issue, the cost of the mini is and how bad you want it.
And only you can make that choice.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would stick with the PT. I myself like having a car that is paid off. I had a new 07 truck with huge debt to pay off and the best thing I did was sell it and buy my used PT that is paid off, fun, practical,sporty,etc...Also the mini is nowhere near as practical, small, overpriced,and really you have to buy a S model to get really not that powerful of an engine. Save your money and put a few dollars of it to gas.
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 22 May 2008, 11:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

The saving grace would be the aforementioned good resale value of the Mini. But still after that, you're still going to loose a little bit of money at the same time you will loose cargo carrying ability.

Personally, I would have bought a Mini over the PT Cruiser if I had the funds. But it's about a $10K difference from what I paid for a new Cruiser vs. what a new Mini would have cost since you can't find a base Mini without a gillion little options on it.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:47 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm not a Mini Cooper fan, there is absolutely no back end to that car, I'd hate to be rearended in it especially with a passenger in the back. It may be cute and small and better on gas but the fear of being hit in that thing scares me and I'd rather have a PT anyday.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 23 May 2008, 01:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolieCruiser View Post
I'm not a Mini Cooper fan, there is absolutely no back end to that car, I'd hate to be rearended in it especially with a passenger in the back. It may be cute and small and better on gas but the fear of being hit in that thing scares me and I'd rather have a PT anyday.
This is the same fear that drove millions of American women into buying 12MPG SUV's in the late 90's into the 00's. American crash standards wouldn't allow for an unallowably unsafe car to hit the streets. This is the same country that forced Lamborghini to add ugly ass external bumpers to the Lamborghini Countach just to be approved for road use.

A Mini is perfectly safe to drive in. It's a surprisingly bulky car for its diminutive size. It's 700lbs more steel than a Smart Car, and the Smart Car passes US crash standards with flying colors.
Old 23 May 2008, 01:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Oh I know they have to pass standards etc to be safe on the roads. It just me....I've worked in Auto claims for 20 years and a lot of those years with the most serious of claims so I'm a bit "jaded" I guess from seeing too many pictures of dead bodies and body parts. Most people would not think of the things that I do but the gory pictures in claim files can not be erased from memory. My personal preference is to have alittle more car around me. This is also the reason I no longer ride motorcycles altho I keep my license for them "just in case", seeing too many bodies being dragged on the road or hit and then backed over because the other driver didn't see them lying there and wanted to go back and check on them...yes that does happen.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition
Old 23 May 2008, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

So you're saying it's better to be in a car big enough to crush other people to death, just so long as you're safe?

(Love putting words in other people's mouth.
Old 23 May 2008, 01:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

thanks for help- size is an issue ;;;; The Caliber is also on the the thought process (with the $2.99 plan for fuel) ideas gang??
Old 23 May 2008, 02:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
So you're saying it's better to be in a car big enough to crush other people to death, just so long as you're safe?

(Love putting words in other people's mouth.

No I didn't say that, I was only stating my thoughts and I'm sorry if that offends anyone. What is it with this board? Twice now different members have done this. I use to think people here were nice, I feel like anything I say is misunderstood. Guess its time to move on.

Jolie
2006 Touring Edition