Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
painting brake callipers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2008, 06:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Default painting brake callipers

How is the best way to go about painting brake callipers?What paint colour would look good on my Inferno GT?What type of paint? Do I buy a spray can?Do you just mask around the calliper? Disasemble everything?Get a bodyshop to do it?
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 31 May 2008, 10:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: painting brake callipers

Easy, just get the callipers really clean. You can use any spray paint. The callipers do not get real hot. I bought two spray cans of Inferno Red spray paint from the dealer and use it. It really helps with the red if you also put on a coat of clear coat. But really clean, hot soap and water, maybe brake cleaner. Then just hold a pice of newspaper to stop overspray, but overspray on the roter does not hurt anyway. The only thing is that the callipers are hard to keep clean, but they sure do look nice.
Old 31 May 2008, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyk View Post
How is the best way to go about painting brake callipers?What paint colour would look good on my Inferno GT?What type of paint? Do I buy a spray can?Do you just mask around the calliper? Disasemble everything?Get a bodyshop to do it?
I am not sure if you want to got thru all this, but just in case you do...

Acura MDX How To: Paint Brake Calipers

MDX How To Paint Calipers, part 2

If you want something easier, I say stick to White's advice. I haven't done this, but wanted to find out if painting them actually has another (beneficial) purpose, like protection. I mean, if I'm gonna take time to do it, I want it to serve more than one purpose...know what I mean???

What do yall think?

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 31 May 2008, 04:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanx very much...I will stick with the easier way. Where can I get Inferno Red Spray paint...How much do I need for 4 calipers?
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 31 May 2008, 04:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually maybe I will just buy bright red or bright yellow...what type of spray paint is the best to buy from the local paint/hardware store? Should I spray with clear? Any suggestions of what colour i should go with?
Old 31 May 2008, 06:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes the inferno red looks good, and the clear coat makes it look better. BUT you have to get the paint from the dealer $$$, and it does not mater which year you have. The new red after 2004 is almost the same. And really any dark red will work. And they do look nicebecaue you can't tell the differance. If you are pulling the wheals anyway why not do the paint job?
Old 31 May 2008, 06:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

OK I have some of Mr. Mikes welting (red). And am planing on installing it (or some of it) at Cruiser Fest in Medisto, California next week where it is nice and warm and I have three day to fiddle around. But it seems to be really tight going in. Ideas? Come by and watch if you are there.

If women don't find you handsome, thay should at least find you handy.
Old 31 May 2008, 08:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

AutoZone actually sells a brake caliper painting kit. You can get several colors. Everything you need is included.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: painting brake callipers

Inferno RedbBrake caliper paint!!??
It's best to use a high heat tolerant paint, like the caliper paint kits sold at all the mainstream auto shops. I believe that mine is a Duplicolor kit. They have a special spray cleaner, 'cause soap & water just won't get off the oil and road grime without a lot of effort.
**I mixed a little black from the black kit into the red, to make it a closer match to Inferno Red. You would be using a paint brush, so masking or taping is not necessary.
Image of Painted Calipers - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 01 Jun 2008 at 09:54 pm. Reason: add pic link
Old 02 Jun 2008, 12:45 am
Cool Cruiser

I went to crappy tire and picked up a rattlecan of tremclad that was some sort of red. I sprayed it on the calipers, and on the rotors too (with my wheels there's a visible area where the wheels bolt on that was rusting and looked awful). The paint has held up on the calipers, on the rotors it discolored to black on some parts and stayed red on others. It looks like I painted some black and some red, it transitions well and looks good. Since all the parts that are being painted are rough you don't have to be as fussy, at least in my opinion. I just pressure washed them, shot them with brake clean and sprayed. It's been a year now, they might need another $5 of paint!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.