PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MPG: better w/AC on or w/AC off & windows open?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2008, 11:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Cool MPG: better w/AC on or w/AC off & windows open?

Okay, it's summer, we all wanna turn on the AC but we ALSO wanna get great gas mileage. So which way will get the better mileage, the windows closed/AC on or windows open/AC off? Figuring that open windows create drag which reduces the MPG, but the AC certainly uses engine power (read: gas!), my assumption would be that at slower speeds the open windows option would make more efficient mileage, but at higher speeds it'd be the other way around.

So: at, say, 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, 60mph and 70mph, does anybody have anything better than my simple slower w/open windows vs. higher speeds w/AC guesswork?
Old 31 May 2008, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MPG: better w/AC on or w/AC off & windows open?

Myth Busters already did it....

Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 22: Boom Lift Catapult, A/C vs. Open Windows

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 07:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yup, seen this one. The did one experiment about pick up trucks as well: open box tail gate up, tonneau cover, or open box tail gate down.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 04:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Anytime I've run with my a/c I've seen little if any difference in the mpg I get. But, from what I've seen here on the wide range in mpg that people get that may be a hard question to get a good answer for. I think it all depends on how you drive your car to begin with. I try to drive with a light foot, so I get decent mileage. If you have a heavy foot you may not do as well. I think the only way you'll know for sure is to experiment with it on, or off, and see what happens.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I drive with my windows down when it's nice out. The joy of having the wind blow at your face is sweet. Beats A/C anyday.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
I drive with my windows down when it's nice out. The joy of having the wind blow at your face is sweet. Beats A/C anyday.
That works up north Ron, but it's above 90 degrees here all week already this year and even at night it's warm and humid. Early morning is the only time for an open window without the AC.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I've lived in New Orleans and in Guam for a total of 5yrs of my life - I know the hot and humid scenario. But still, i enjoyed the windows in the ajar position!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
I agree. The only time I use the A/C is to defog the windows.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyNiagara View Post
I agree. The only time I use the A/C is to defog the windows.
x2!!!!

My Baby:

Old 01 Jun 2008, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not me: if it wasn't for AC, I'd melt! I'd rather do without a heater in the car in winter than no AC in summer.