Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tape Marks Removed....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jun 2008, 01:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Tape Marks Removed....

Tried the famous Wd-40 and Fine Steel wool solution on the bumpers and it works Indeed. I had the tape marks finally trying to appear on me after all these years. I guess Ive had my baby out in the sun alot more lately... But it works, the marks are all gone. so if have this problem, try it out....

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s
Old 06 Jun 2008, 05:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tape Marks Removed....

Thanks for your input. Seems there's a lot more of those "tape marks" around than we know of. Think of the thousands of owners that have them that don't belong to any forum to ask about it. My son's mother-in-law has it on her 2002 since new but doesn't really care or even seem to notice it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 10:46 am
Regular Cruiser

Hey Crewzin! I have those tape marks on my '03. I tried everything to get them off, but never thought to check here! I'll try it this weekend. Do you use regular steel wool? Or will an SOS pad work? Since SOS has infused soap I don't know how that would mix with WD-40?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I'd like to add a photo icon to my posts similar to others here (of my car). I checked the FAQ but it talks about avatars and I want a 100x100 icon photo. Do I have to get permission to have one? How would I go about that?

Thanks!

Tom
Old 06 Jun 2008, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

StoneWhitePT2 will have to answer if an SOS pad will work.

I take it you want to add a photo into the top left section where your name is: Yes, that's the Avatar so go to USER CP at the top of every page and look for edit Avatar. Then add a link to your 100x100 picture where it tells you to.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Jun 2008 at 11:27 am.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 11:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneWhitePT2 View Post
Tried the famous Wd-40 and Fine Steel wool solution on the bumpers and it works Indeed. I had the tape marks finally trying to appear on me after all these years. I guess Ive had my baby out in the sun alot more lately... But it works, the marks are all gone. so if have this problem, try it out....
What great timing! I have needed to do this for so long but was thinking I my only option was to have them painted. Any special instructions on how to do this? Just gently rub until the marks disappear? Then wipe off the WD40 and dress the bumper with something?
Old 06 Jun 2008, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok I just decided to try this out yesterday before washing my PT. I went to ACE Hardware and bought the FINE grade steel wool(NO SOS pad) and WD-40. All you do is spray the wd-40 on the small piece of steel wool almost saturating it.... Then squeeze the steel wool like you would do a wet towel. Then rub GENTLY along the bumper in the direction of the tape mark back n forth. Then take a towel n rub out the excess WD-40 on the bumper. Look at the results and it should be gone. If not all the way gone or if you can still see the light haze of the tape mark. Try another application and that should remove them completely. Thats It!! I would recommend to top the bumper with Mothers Back to Black, I didnt use it yet but Im gonna top mine today with it. But here is the results now...

Last edited by StoneWhitePT2; 06 Jun 2008 at 02:10 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, I'll give this a try over the weekend.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 06 Jun 2008, 03:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Do you guyz think i should use Armor All (extra shiney) or Back to black for the bumpers??

Old 06 Jun 2008, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneWhitePT2 View Post
Do you guyz think i should use Armor All (extra shiney) or Back to black for the bumpers??
Not sure about Back to Black but when I used to use Armor All on the tires for shows, it looked good for a little while but then faded to an ugly brownish color or would come right off if it happened to rain.

Old 07 Jun 2008, 01:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart

Sweet Thread Stonewhite!

Back to black.... uhhh im guessing its fine for those greyish bumpers right?

What is that stuff used for?