PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT is out of comission!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2008, 07:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default PT is out of comission!!!

<- THAT IS ME RIGHT NOW.

I was working on doing the back brakes for the PT, I got one wheel off fine and got the brake rotor, pads and caliper in place and all reassembled, but when I went to the other side... BOOM... broke a wheel stud. I was suitably pissed but I had to move on seeing as how one side was done and this one wasn't. In the end, 4 of the 5 studs broke and the last one's thread was so badly damaged that it had to be pulled. I know how it happened... The rims I have come with locknuts, they work fine but you have to be careful for the first few turns because they cross-thread easily at first. I guarantee you that when it was at the tire place I took it to, they just stuck 'em on and went to town with their air wrench and killed my studs. SO ANGRY. Whatever. It will be roadworthy again by Monday.
Old 07 Jun 2008, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT is out of comission!!!

That kind of stuff does tends to pi.. you off. Whenever I have to have work done with the wheels, I have enough cars that I take them off myself and take 2 of them to the shop at a time. Come back and then take the other two. Shops aren't that far away and I just tell them I'm fussy about what happens to the wheels. If they want the money, they'll go along with it. I grease the studs and torque them down myself and have the time to clean the inside of the wheel well and inside the wheels themselves before putting it all back together.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jun 2008, 07:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yeah, That has to be one of the first jobs that I have let a shop do out of my hands... Just my luck huh? well then, I guess I will be doing it your way from now on!
Old 08 Jun 2008, 06:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Usually when I need tires I pull the wheels myself, 2 at a time, and drop them off at the tire shop. Not only can I torque the wheels myself when I get them back (I keep a cheap torque wrench dedicated for lug nuts) but I can also avoid hanging around the tire shop waiting room reading 2 year old issues of Time for a couple hours....
One exception is the last time I got tires on the van, I didn't have time to do it myself and the Pep Boys service manager assured me that they use a torque wrench for final tightening.. I think many of the tire shops are waking up to the bad hype they were getting by over tightening the lugs.
Old 08 Jun 2008, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

wow that stinks !! glad you will be back on the road monday
Old 09 Jun 2008, 06:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart

Torque wrenches, and manually "starting" the nut on the stud will be success for you!

I have never broken any studs

Sorry to hear...
Old 09 Jun 2008, 07:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
<- THAT IS ME RIGHT NOW.

I was working on doing the back brakes for the PT, I got one wheel off fine and got the brake rotor, pads and caliper in place and all reassembled, but when I went to the other side... BOOM... broke a wheel stud. I was suitably pissed but I had to move on seeing as how one side was done and this one wasn't. In the end, 4 of the 5 studs broke and the last one's thread was so badly damaged that it had to be pulled. I know how it happened... The rims I have come with locknuts, they work fine but you have to be careful for the first few turns because they cross-thread easily at first. I guarantee you that when it was at the tire place I took it to, they just stuck 'em on and went to town with their air wrench and killed my studs. SO ANGRY. Whatever. It will be roadworthy again by Monday.
Man...I would be soooo upset.

BUT, hopefully you'll be rolling soon!!!

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 09 Jun 2008, 10:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmart View Post
Torque wrenches, and manually "starting" the nut on the stud will be success for you!

I have never broken any studs

Sorry to hear...
Yeah, that is what I have done every time. I was in a rush last time and didn't have time to do it my self, so I gave it to them. NOT going to make that mistake again. Back on the road by the way guys! PT stops like a wall!
Old 09 Jun 2008, 03:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Wow! Do you think there was a chance the wheel could have broke off while driving? I take mine off then just take them down. I also go over the wheel with the manager. So if his shop f'd up my rim hes gotta pay.
RF power mids and highs
Kicker solo-baric L5's x2
Old 09 Jun 2008, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: PT is out of comission!!!

I feel your pain!!
I stripped one, before I got a click-type torque wrench.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!