PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Problem - Funny but True...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2008, 07:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Power Steering Problem - Funny but True...

The power steering on my wife's '06 Cruiser went out the other day. She got in and the wheel just would not turn. It wasn't locked, just obscenely hard to turn. Being the good (read: obsessive) person that I am, I checked the forums here and decided it was the power steering pump, and made plans accordingly to drop the $400 necessary to get it fixed. I took it to my favorite mechanic shop here and thought I'd waved bye-bye to a hefty chunk of change. About thirty minutes later, my cellphone rings. It's the mechanic.

Mechanic - "Sir, we found the problem. It's not the power steering pump."
*cue ominous music as I prepared to hear about a far more expensive problem*

Me - "Okay...What's the problem?"

Mechanic - "Well, sir, it seems that a MOUSE got into your engine to get warm against the power steering belt. Poor little bugger probably never even saw it coming when your wife turned the car on. We cleaned it up and it works fine now."

Me - "A mouse?!? That's what did this?"

Mechanic - "Yep. Saved you lots of money too...It's be $85. The car's ready now."

So anyway, the car runs, the mouse is gone and Tabby took her car to work. Weird, but true.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 11:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Default Re: Power Steering Problem - Funny but True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifu_scott View Post
The power steering on my wife's '06 Cruiser went out the other day. She got in and the wheel just would not turn. It wasn't locked, just obscenely hard to turn. Being the good (read: obsessive) person that I am, I checked the forums here and decided it was the power steering pump, and made plans accordingly to drop the $400 necessary to get it fixed. I took it to my favorite mechanic shop here and thought I'd waved bye-bye to a hefty chunk of change. About thirty minutes later, my cellphone rings. It's the mechanic.

Mechanic - "Sir, we found the problem. It's not the power steering pump."
*cue ominous music as I prepared to hear about a far more expensive problem*

Me - "Okay...What's the problem?"

Mechanic - "Well, sir, it seems that a MOUSE got into your engine to get warm against the power steering belt. Poor little bugger probably never even saw it coming when your wife turned the car on. We cleaned it up and it works fine now."

Me - "A mouse?!? That's what did this?"

Mechanic - "Yep. Saved you lots of money too...It's be $85. The car's ready now."

So anyway, the car runs, the mouse is gone and Tabby took her car to work. Weird, but true.
Poor mouse.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 11 Jun 2008, 06:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, poor mouse!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 08:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yea, poor mouse!

Old 11 Jun 2008, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekypt View Post
Teekypt,

I have no sympathy for mice. I lived in rural Maryland for a lot of years before moving to Florida and had field mice climbing into everything imaginable. They used to sleep and build nests in my Corvette engine bay.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 11:15 am
Young Cruiser

I couldn't tell you how many times when I was in the rental car business, people would call and gripe about the pos that we had rented them...couldn't get the steering column unlocked or couldnt turn the wheels....we'd ask them if they were parked against the curb....silence....

or the guy who cussed out the agent because the key wouldn't work in "our" pos....took the spare key across town...he throws me the key, cussing me out too...funny, we did't use that shape of key tag....yep, had the key for his coworkers rental from another company.

or the person who called, had locked the keys in the trunk. asked them if all the doors were locked..."no".....reminded them of the trunk release by the drivers seat....click.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 12:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Teekypt,

I have no sympathy for mice. I lived in rural Maryland for a lot of years before moving to Florida and had field mice climbing into everything imaginable. They used to sleep and build nests in my Corvette engine bay.
Now that's not cool...those little buggers....

I just like animals...even if they are pests! However, I probably wouldn't like them if this happened to my car!!!

Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:02 pm
Young Cruiser

LOL Great story. I had a cat get thrown around under the hood of my old '62 Chevy stepside by the fan. It made the most aweful wail & thumping sound bouncing around in there. When I opened the hood fur went flying every where & the cat was wedged between the frame & fender well. I got him out and he ran in a huge circle for 5 minuites untill he managed to make it under my VW bug. After a few hours it could walk in a semi-strait line again & it was fine after a few weeks when the bald spots started filling back in. Luckily it didn't to any damage to my old truck.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekypt View Post
Now that's not cool...those little buggers....

I just like animals...even if they are pests! However, I probably wouldn't like them if this happened to my car!!!
Had a mouse chew on the wires inside my clothes dryer. Luckily, the dryer started smoking during the day when we were home. At any other time it could have burned my house down and maybe killed myself and my family. They are destructive, disease carrying little pests. All mice can die.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser