PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2008, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2007 pt cruiser

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. My husband and myself bought a new 2007 pt cruiser last December. It is 6 months old.
We have 5,000km on it. It is 6 months old. We have been having problems with a noise when we turn the steering wheel.
We were told it is the rack and pinion and we can't believe something happened already.
We do love our little car but this has thrown us for a loop.
We live in Canada.
When we bought the car we took out extra warranty and almost everything is covered for 7 years.
Has anyone else had this problem so soon.
I am sick to my stomach.
Thank you for listening. I am going to read as many posts as i can.
jinky
Old 14 Jun 2008, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 pt cruiser

Welcome to the forum Jinky, Sorry to hear about your problem. I don't think the Rack & Pinion could have gone out so early in it's life so hopefully it will be just a small problem of tightening something up and you'll be on your way.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They did say it would take 3 or 4 hours to fix it. They had to order a part.
thanks jinky
Old 14 Jun 2008, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome Jinky!!!
As to your question, take it back to your dealer, it will be covered under warranty. If your Chrysler Extended Warranty is like ours in the States, you will be eligible for a rental car for free. You did get a Chrysler Warranty, right?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Jun 2008, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi , Yes it is covered under warranty for 7 years and i get anothe car if it is in overnight.
It is just the fact that the car is 6 months old with 5,000km and this is happening.
Didn't think something would happen this soon on new cars.
thanks jinky
Old 14 Jun 2008, 03:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Oh yeah, it happened to me! My steering rack was replaced at 12,000 miles on my 2005. It was replaced *again* at 28,000. Turned out the rack was not the real problem--the power steering pump was putting out too much pressure and blowing the seals. It did exactly wat you say--it made a groaning noise when it was cold, due to low fluid. The new pump seemed to fix the problem, though I guess I will never know since that dumb $%#* hit me and totalled my car.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePTGirl View Post
2004 Limited Edition Platinum series
So you totaled the 2005 and bought a 2004 ???

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 04:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: 2007 pt cruiser

Welcome Jinky to this forum. Our cruiser is a 2007 also with 22000 miles now but no problem with our steering system. Seems ALL cars are not created equal! Don't let your problem that wasn't expected put a bad taste in your mouth with the Pt. Cruiser.

It's not just a matter of MPG... it's the ride! Still wish it was better!
Old 14 Jun 2008, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for all the information and the welcome....yes i do love our pt cruiser and i have to like "get over it" about the rack and pinion.
Thanks pt purple girl....this made me feel it is not only us.
I love the style and it is easy to get in and out.
Glad we took out the extended warranty.

Crewzin i love the way you have your pt fixed up.....cool.
thanks everyone jinky
Old 15 Jun 2008, 07:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine went out at 100K.

Although, the only reason it went bad (groaning noise) is because Chrysler completed an unrelated safety recall on the power steering pump hose (they had to replace it) this let air in the system. They said give it a few hours and the noise will go away...three days later (200 miles) it was still groaning.

They changed the rack and pinion.

2001 Limited