Advertisements
Pt long trip advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2008, 03:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt long trip advice

Hi everyone,
I like long trips, I arranged for long trip this July
will travel with family by my pt 2007, 24000 miles, from Tripoli, Libya to Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt
it is 1400 Km from Tripoli to Egypt border, then ~ 1100 Km from border to Sharm
please any advice for my PT) does it resist long trips?
by the way gas here in Libya very cheap, full tank ~ 7.5 USD (1 leter=0.15 cent)

regards
Old 17 Jun 2008, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt long trip advice

In 1964, I was stationed at a LORAN Station in Matratin Libya on the main road from Tripoli to Egypt. Didn't realize Gaddafi allowed travel in his country. King Iidris was in charge back then.

Good luck on your trip, sounds like a great one.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My advice - If you can get Mobil 1 synthetic oil, put in 10w30. It stands up to heat much better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jun 2008, 07:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check your tires really well. You'd be surprised what you can find imbedded into the tread that could cause a problem. Also, take the spare tire out, check it and top off the air pressure ...probably everybody (but me ) takes the spare for granted and it's always low in pressure.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Check your air cleaner. Start fresh and replace it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's very dusty over there.

Check your fluids (radiator and transmission).

Good luck!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thans for all advices
Mr.Hooligan, thank you, I learned 2 things from you
1- meaning of LORAN station (after searching) Long range Navigation , correct?
2- there is Matratin airport in Libya (searching with Google earth) ( 3038'32.62"N, 1819'14.91"E).
Old 17 Jun 2008, 12:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Post Re: Pt long trip advice

I don't have much advice, but I did find a pretty good site for traveling in the desert. I would guess taking an EXTRA spare tire might be a good idea. Especially since the donut spares are small, you might be able to secure it under the PT where the current one resides (with bungee cord or wire hangers). I'd also personally reccomend you change out your engine coolant, and instead of a 50/50% mix I'd go with a 70% coolant 30% water mix so it will resist boiling even higher than say 256 degrees F (or 124 C) since avg. daily temps in Sharm are about 100 C. Also, make sure your tires are inflated well since under inflation can create more heat than the tire is designed to handle (plus it hurts your mileage).

Heres the site: Egypt: Travel Tips - Travel and Survival in the Desert

.......and below is a section of interest:

Transport and common sense in the desert

The key to safe travel in desert regions is reliable and well equipped transport. Most travelers will simply use local bus and taxi services. For the motorist, motorcyclist, or pedal cyclist there are ground rules which, if followed, will help to reduce risks. In normal circumstances travelers will remain on black top roads and for this need only a well prepared 2WD vehicle. Choose a machine which is known for its reliability and for which spares can be easily obtained. Across much of the region only Peugeot and Mercedes are found adequate spares and servicing facilities. If you have a different type of car/truck, make sure that you take spares with you or have the means of getting spares sent out. Bear in mind that transport of spares to and from Libya and Sudan might be tediously long. Petrol/benzene/gas is everywhere available though diesel is equally well distributed except in the smallest of southern settlements. 4WD transport is useful even for the traveler who normally remains on the black top highways. Emergencies, diversions, and unscheduled visits to off the road sites become less of a problem with all-terrain vehicles. Off the road, 4WD is essential, normally with two vehicles traveling together. A great variety of 4WD vehicles are in use in the region, with Toyota and Land Rover probably found most widely.

All vehicles going into the S areas of North Africa should have basic equipment as follows:

1. Full tool kit, vehicle maintenance handbook, and supplementary tools such as clamps, files, wire, spare parts kit supplied by car manufacturer, jump leads.

2. Spare tire/s, battery driven tire pump, tire levers, tire repair kit, hydraulic jack, jack handle extension, base plate for jack.

3. Spare fuel can/s, spare water container/s, cool bags.

For those going off the black top roads other items to include are:

4. Foot tire pump, heavy duty hydraulic or air jack, power winch, sand channels, safety rockets, comprehensive first aid kit, radio-telephone where permitted.

5. Emergency rations kit/s, matches, Benghazi burner.

6. Maps, compasses, latest road information, long term weather forecast, guides to navigation by sun and stars.

Driving in the desert is an acquired skill. Basic rules are simple but crucial.

1. If you can get a local guide who perhaps wants a lift to your precise destination, use him.

2. Set out early in the morning after first light, rest during the heat of the day, and use the cool of the evening for further travel.

3. Never attempt to travel at night or when there is a sandstorm brewing or in progress.

4. Always travel with at least two vehicles which should remain in close visual contact.

Other general hints include not speeding across open flat desert in case the going changes without warning and your vehicle beds deeply into soft sand or a gully. Well maintained corrugated road surfaces can be taken modest pace by rocky surfaces should be treated with great care to prevent undue wear on tires. Sand seas are a challenge for drivers but need a cautious approach--ensure that your navigation lines are clear so that weaving between dunes does not disorientate the navigator. Especially in windy conditions, sight lines can vanish, leaving crews with little knowledge of where they are. Cresting dunes from dip slope to scarp needs care that the vehicle does not either bog down or overturn. Keep off salt flats after rain and floods especially in the winter and spring when water tables can rise and make the going hazardous in soft mud. Even when on marked and maintained tracks beware of approaching traffic.

Emergencies

The desert tends to expose the slightest flaw in personnel and vehicles. Emergency situations are therefore to be expected and planned for. There is no better security than making the schedule of your journey known in advance to friends or embassy/consulate officials who will actively check on your arrival at stated points. Breakdowns and multiple punctures are the most frequent problem. On the highway the likelihood is always that a passing motorist will give assistance, or a lift to the nearest control post or village. In these situations it is best simply remain with your vehicle until help arrives making sure that you are clear of the road and that you are protected from other traffic by a warning triangle and/or rocks on the road to rear and front.

Off the road, breakdowns, punctures, and bogging down in soft sand are the main difficulties. If you have left your travel program at your last stop you will already have a fall back position in case of severe problems. If you cannot make a repair or extricate yourself, remain with your vehicle in all circumstances. Unless you can clearly see a settlement (not a mirage) stay where you are with water, food, and shelter. The second vehicle can be used to search for help but only after defining the precise location of the incident. In the case of getting lost, halt, conserve fuel while you attempt to get a bearing on either the topography or the planets/stars and work out a traverse to bring you back to a known line such as a highway, mountain ridge or coastline. If that fails, take up as prominent a position as possible for being spotted from the air. Build a fire to use if and when you hear air activity in you vicinity. Attempt to find a local source of water by digging in the nearest wadi bed, collecting dew from the air at night. If you have fuel to spare it can be used with great care both as a means of attracting attention and a way of boiling untreated water. A Benghazi burner, two crude metal cones welded together to give a water jacket and space for a fire in the center can achieve this latter purpose. As ever in this region, be patient and conserve energy.

Some really good tips in there. But whatever you do, be careful and have fun.

Take some pictures of your PT in the desert, then post them here. That would be really cool to see!

Good luck!

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 17 Jun 2008, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neplan View Post
Thans for all advices
Mr.Hooligan, thank you, I learned 2 things from you
1- meaning of LORAN station (after searching) Long range Navigation , correct?
2- there is Matratin airport in Libya (searching with Google earth) ( 30°38'32.62"N, 18°19'14.91"E).
1. Correct, 2. There wasn't any airport, but a WW2 airstrip that our supplies were flown in from Naples. We were located between Sirte and Bengazi at that times there were 2 oil depots one was between us and Sirte and the other was beyond the air strip.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Jun 2008, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was over in the middle of Australia (Alice Springs) for a month. You can't get any more barren or deserted area if you start traveling away from the cites as there. One thing they told you to do (and i didn't see it on the tips above) is file a trip report to either authorities or at least close friends telling in as much detail as possible where your going, what roads your traveling, what places you think you might be staying at and when they should expect you back.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.