Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tower Strut Bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2008, 01:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Tower Strut Bar

Just bought one for $35 incl. s&h.

Take a look, what do you think??

eBay Motors: 01 02 03 04 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER FRONT STRUT TOWER BAR (item 310058362443 end time Jun-17-08 23:20:42 PDT)

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 18 Jun 2008, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tower Strut Bar

I've read of some w/APC hitting the hood or firewall, but if yours doesn't, it's well worth it.
Go easy on the strut tower nuts - they don't take much torque..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Jun 2008, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with QSD. Great price, hope it fits without hitting.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 10:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

That was my only concern...How will it not hit the hood?? I guess I'll find out soon, heh.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 18 Jun 2008, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It would hit the hood by sticking up too much in the middle between the struts. Look at my picture below and you can see mine just high enough to clear the vanity cover but low enough to just go along the top of the firewall. Doesn't hit anything.

P.S. the firewall strip of your won't look like mine as I replaced the rubber strip with a strip of chrome.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jun 2008 at 11:11 am.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 11:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Where and how much did you get yours for?

If it doesn't fit, I'll return it and get it wherever you got yours.

I love your engine, Carey......Makes me cry inside, lol

My Baby:

Old 18 Jun 2008, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Unfortunately, I looked around and nobody seems to be selling the strut bar that I have. It came in Yellow and I had the vanity cover and bar painted professionally Viper Red. The ONLY problems I've ever read about is with the APC strut bar (like yours unfortunately) that people said hit the hood, but not all of them did so you may get lucky. That's the problem with APC parts, the QC (quality control) doesn't seem to be at the top of their list.

Old 18 Jun 2008, 12:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the APC bar too. I picked it up for I think $29 or something at autotrucktoys. I did a bunch of research into it. It seems that the early APC bars were junk, they used brackets to mount the bolts to the strut towers, than brackets to hold the bar, the new one is a one piece design. I found the bar to be extremely light walled bar stock, and it doesn't take much to bend it by hand. I didn't expect anything out of it really, but it did give me faster turn in, and the part that is most important to me and I wasn't expecting, is that it got rid of my bump steer! I have to drive 8 miles of low maintenance gravel road every day, and that is all potholed and washboard. It used to be the steering wheel would always be trying to come out of my hand, now it is composed in that stuff. I'm planning on tying the strut bar into the firewall eventually to stiffen it up even more.

The bar fit good in my car, I believe it had to be forced over one of the strut mounts just a bit, I can't remember if the bar had to be compressed or stretched.

I'm interested to know how it works for you.
Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 18 Jun 2008, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
I have the APC bar too. I picked it up for I think $29 or something at autotrucktoys. I did a bunch of research into it. It seems that the early APC bars were junk, they used brackets to mount the bolts to the strut towers, than brackets to hold the bar, the new one is a one piece design. I found the bar to be extremely light walled bar stock, and it doesn't take much to bend it by hand. I didn't expect anything out of it really, but it did give me faster turn in, and the part that is most important to me and I wasn't expecting, is that it got rid of my bump steer! I have to drive 8 miles of low maintenance gravel road every day, and that is all potholed and washboard. It used to be the steering wheel would always be trying to come out of my hand, now it is composed in that stuff. I'm planning on tying the strut bar into the firewall eventually to stiffen it up even more.

The bar fit good in my car, I believe it had to be forced over one of the strut mounts just a bit, I can't remember if the bar had to be compressed or stretched.

I'm interested to know how it works for you.
Ben
Me too now....I prolly shoulda asked before I bought it, but I would really like one. I will be sure to post pics and all that when I get it installed in the next few days

My Baby:

Old 18 Jun 2008, 01:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good luck with the bar! If it works well, for that price I might just have to get one! They do look good...