Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Winter beater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Winter beater

Well I ran it by my wife this morning that I would like to buy a winter beater for our frigid -30C, icy slushy, slippery, sandy roads in winter. I know it is only a PT but it is more than that to me. I would like to keep it stored in my garage in winter. I don't want to chance it and get rock chips, salt, etc...and risk a winter slippery accident. She was not for it this morning...However a man across the street from me is selling a 92 Toyota Corolla 4dr LE with 200000km...about 120000miles for 500$.....my wife knows this is a great deal and has given me the go ahead...we are just waiting to see if he will let my brother in law who is a mechanic check it out. He is the original owner. His daughter was driving it but she just got a silver Celica GT. I saw the Corolla parked in a space between 2 houses and left a note on his mailbox asking him to email me if it was for sale...I was surprised he only wants 500$ for it. It has a new battery, starter, 4 yr old tires etc.. From what I have seen these cars here are selling around 1000 to 2000$.....I hope everything works out for the best so my PT can hibernate thru our awful winters. Any opinions?
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 26 Jun 2008, 03:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Winter beater

If the car runs, no major problems, why not!

$500 is really nothing to lose. It'll prolly be better on gas than the PT, lol.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 05:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like a good plan. Will keep your PT out of winter weather. Now in my case, the PT IS the beater/daily driver to keep the Vette out of the winter/bad weather.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 06:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

go for it !!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 06:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Watch for rust on that thing. I've had beater cars too, and they all get parked because of being rusted out. If AB is like MB, you need to have a safety inspection before you can get it on the road, if it's rusted out, no go. Make sure to jack it up and crawl around underneath to get a good look see. Poke at stuff with a screwdriver, it shouldn't go through the floor or frame anywhere!

Another suggestion is a good set of snow tires, preferably studded. I run Cooper Weathermaster ST/2's and they are great! My old Dynasty with those tires on would plow through 3 foot high snow drifts and be able to do 120km/h down glare ice with high winds!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 26 Jun 2008, 01:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
Watch for rust on that thing. I've had beater cars too, and they all get parked because of being rusted out. If AB is like MB, you need to have a safety inspection before you can get it on the road, if it's rusted out, no go. Make sure to jack it up and crawl around underneath to get a good look see. Poke at stuff with a screwdriver, it shouldn't go through the floor or frame anywhere!

Another suggestion is a good set of snow tires, preferably studded. I run Cooper Weathermaster ST/2's and they are great! My old Dynasty with those tires on would plow through 3 foot high snow drifts and be able to do 120km/h down glare ice with high winds!

Ben
Ha....Now that's something I can't even think about doing!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
Ha....Now that's something I can't even think about doing!
Studded tires are not legal in Michigan.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:13 pm
Young Cruiser

I bought a 90 Corolla, one owner, 225,000 miles. Looked and ran like new. Drove it about 8 months, headgasket went out. Prices at a garage ran almost 1,000 for a new head, valve job etc...so I sold it for 250. Then I checked on the internet, just for fun....found a japanese take out(less than 40,000 miles, something about their smog law over there), complete from flywheel to injectors, pulleys, exh. manifold....fits Corollas for about a gazillion years...$175 outright, 100 shipping from Cali. Sob....
With 120,000 a Toyota is just broke in. And if you do need a engine or a tranny....check the net.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:33 pm
Young Cruiser

That sounds like a good plan to me. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had a 3 car garage. Beaters don't always start well on real cold mornings in Nebraska.

Jim