Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
4 wheel disc upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2008, 01:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 4 wheel disc upgrade

My '04 Touring had drum brakes on the rear. I was wondering if anyone had upgraded the rear drums to disc. I know the GT has discs on all 4 corners. Would these be swapable to upgrade the rear on my PT?
Old 29 Jun 2008, 01:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 4 wheel disc upgrade

I know I looked into it awhile back. It would be a really pricey option. I can't remember exactly what you would need, but I'm thinking that you needed the rear axle, the brakes, and you would have to rip apart the center console as the disc setup uses a different e-brake cable. I think also the GT has larger diameter brakes, so you'd probably want to swap in the fronts as well if you'd use a GT. I think I had come across somebody that offered all the hardware needed and the kit was over $1000. I just try not to look at the brake drums on my car... They stop good, I think it would be a mostly cosmetic upgrade IMO.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 29 Jun 2008, 01:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

More info
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 29 Jun 2008, 02:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks clever! Yeah my thoughts were to find a wrecked PT that had them & pull the whole rear end.
But after looking at all those links, I think the drums are just fine. I just hate having to redo drums.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 03:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

PTModRod has 4 disc brakes. I'll direct him to this thread

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 29 Jun 2008, 03:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
... They stop good, I think it would be a mostly cosmetic upgrade IMO.
Hey, just as a note, My PT LE had 4 wheel discs, so I don't think it was a turbo only option. I believe the stopping percentages are something like 80% front and 20% rear, so the drums should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHundredAire View Post
Thanks clever! Yeah my thoughts were to find a wrecked PT that had them & pull the whole rear end.
But after looking at all those links, I think the drums are just fine. I just hate having to redo drums.
If you do replace them, I would recommend UPGRADING. Step up to drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. That way, once the job is done, you really FEEL the difference. Looks darn good too!

Old 29 Jun 2008, 05:17 pm
Young Cruiser

The looks don't really bother me so much as the saftey factor. Considering the cost & time, I'll probably save that money for my buggy project & just upgrade the fronts to better pads & cross drilled rotors. I just put ceramics pads on the front, but the rotors are just stock. Sometimes my brakes don't feel as firm as I would like them. I may just need to completley bleed the system to put fresh fluid in it. In its 4 years, it might have absorbed enough moisture to make them a little soft on the petal.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 07:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

I looked into it and the only rear setup not from a junkyard is a stock kit from Wykoff Chrysler and they want something crazy like $1,300. I decided that since Chysler painted my rear drums black, that even with alloys you can't tell they're drums. The fronts do most of the braking anyways. Just went with a good set of ceramic pads up front. This is doing adequate stop duty for how slow of a car it is. If I decide later, I was thinking maybe to upgrade the fronts to the Wilwood kit 12" rotor and caliper kit. It's a reasonable $550 for a new kit, and most places will throw in stainless steel brake lines for free at that price. Not bad.