PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

How do I Flush the Radiator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I Flush the Radiator?

I need to flush the radiator on my 2001 PT Cruiser and I am not sure how to do it. I got a kit from AutoZone, but the directions on the package are not very clear.
Old 02 Jul 2008, 12:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How do I Flush the Radiator?

Hi,

You are going to get a great deal of great information and help from the members of this fourm.

There are several ways of accomplishing this task and judging from your post you may not be highly mechanically inclined-this is not a put down-not everyone is and good for that--it gives honest mechanics/technicians an opprotunity to earn a livelyhood.

If you do not get a detailed instruction packet with illustrations from a fourm member--go to your local parts store purchase a Chilton or equivelant automobile maintenance/repair manual--if your local library is large enough-give the reference section a whirl. Don't forget to give the web a search.

One thing to look for in your coolant-don't mix them between brand/types-like some children, they do not play well together.
Old 02 Jul 2008, 01:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Me again,

After my input above-I did what we should all do when we have a qustion-I searched this fourm and behold--the 2001-2004 tech manual is avaialbe here at this link--http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/attachments/tech-performance-forum/59d1188146229-free-pt-repair-manual-all-csd-pt-cruiser-2001-2004-repair-manual-software.zip.

Download-unzip-enjoy! The manual, unzip the manual--some people have depraved minds.
Old 02 Jul 2008, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

xebix,

What articles did you receive in your "kit". It's been a long time since I bought one of those kits and they might have changed. An "L" shaped tube, fits into the top of the radiator pointing away from the car. A "T" junction with threaded top, needs to be spliced into one of the heater hoses. If that's what you have, after you splice the "T" junction, a water hose from the house is attached to the threaded area and water is forced thru the system and out the "L' shaped tube cleaning out the system.

The only problem with the whole kit is that's it's illegal to just force the old anti-freeze out into the driveway, lawn or down the sewer. Anti-freeze will kill animals, plants, and children and make it's way into the aquifer. You have to have a way of storing it till you can get rid of it.

Personally, if you look thru the local paper, there's always ads run by local garages giving a good deal for a cooling system change. They won't have to splice into the system as they have flushing systems that force water thru the system and capture the output.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 02 Jul 2008, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I did a search, but that did not come up in the results. I always search before I ask questions. Thanks for the link. That will be a great help.

@CREWZIN That is exactly what I got. There is an AutoZone just a couple of blocks from my house, so proper disposal isn't an issue.

Last edited by xebix; 02 Jul 2008 at 06:49 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2008, 10:26 am
Young Cruiser

Doesn't Haynes or a thread here talk about doing this via upper lower hose removal, thermostat removal and replacement, garden hose method?
I didn't realize people were still reverse flushing radiators.