Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BUY OR NOT BUY???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2008, 04:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default BUY OR NOT BUY???

OK >>>VW has released the new JETTA TDI- $23,000 nicely equipped and gets 29/40 MPG on diesel. I test drove it and it has a huge ammount of torque and moves!! Unlike our PT's their MPG's are always higher! Considering diesel is $1.00/gallon higher is it worth the deal? The trunk is huge,it handles like a sports car & its maintence is included for 3/36.My Pt would be worth about 5K on a trade('03 Touring-60K) I want some thoughts, math guys,,,,,, I drive 12K per year.....all angles including my reapairs expected for my PT going forward etc,,,,,, thanks,,,, FUEL is moving up! Thankyou.
Old 03 Jul 2008, 06:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: BUY OR NOT BUY???

you have to do what makes you happy
Old 03 Jul 2008, 10:18 am
Young Cruiser

depends on the grin factor. when you walk out to the car, will it make you grin?
Old 03 Jul 2008, 03:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Because it's diesel it will be more expensive in the short run, but in the long run I think it'd be worth it.

Do whatever makes you happy, as Bob said.

Good luck!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 03 Jul 2008, 05:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Make a pro and con list. Ultimately, it is your decision.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Jul 2008, 09:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK thanks for all the thoughts,,,, my biggest 3 issues are the long term reliability of the PT & low resale & so so MPG at best-long term. I may bite the bullit though for the long term & buy it,,,,,, additional thoughts welcome.
Old 03 Jul 2008, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: BUY OR NOT BUY???

Have a family (or any friends)? Comfortable seating room for four?
Is the diesel noisy?

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Jul 2008, 10:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

ITs the new Blue Tooth diesel developed by Mercedes/Audi & VW- extremely quiet,smog free(no soot),and a torque monster! 140HP & 268lbs of torque! It really went! I was impressed!!
Old 06 Jul 2008, 11:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

The only reason I'd get a diesel would be for the ability to run vegtable oil on it. But I'm not sure how hard it is to convert a new diesel emissions vehicle to run on it. Also consider how much harder it will be to find a gas station. Then consider 23K is a decent chunk of change for a Mexican made Jetta. You could get a Prius or Civic Hybrid for that much while getting even better milage than the Jetta, and still being able to buy gas at any gas station.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 10:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Post Re: BUY OR NOT BUY???

Hey there......I though we already had this discussion.

Remember here:
PT CRRUISER OR MINI COOPER & WHY??

No doubt, I'm a huge fan of that new Jetta TDI, but I still don't think it makes good financial sense based on the math we did before even at 40 MPG. Just play with the numbers I gave you and see if it works out.

You must really be itchin' to get a new ride? Sometimes you have to do what feels right and is best for you. If ultimately you're done with your PT and you want to make a change, no financial analysis will sway you.

Don't forget about the reliability issues with VW's....that could really hurt you in the long run. My friend had a 2003 VW Beetle and got rid of it last year due to nickel and diming her to death. Where as PT's typically have a good record of reliability - and millions sold to their credit.

What about the "PT fund" and the $100 savings per month...you know you can have your employer do a direct deposit to a savings account/CD...right? Either way you'll have more money for down payment in a year or two than you do now. Then that may be the time to get the TDI Jetta, plus they might have worked out the bugs in the new Car by then. Trust me, I used to work in auto industry, and there will be bugs.

Just food for thought.

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find