Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fan not coming on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2008, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fan not coming on

My pt overheats only when it is sitting still or not going over 40km/hr. I cannot hear the fan kicking on at all. Is there a fuse somewhere for that? just before this started happening, like 30 mins before, I had to boost the car because the lights were left on long enough to kill my old battery. when i started to boost it i went right off the battery then the cables were smoking so i switched over to that boost post....i think this did it to me....anyone ?
Old 04 Jul 2008, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Fan not coming on

after researching i have found that there are relays for the fan...is it possible that I blew one of these by incorrectly boosting my battery?
Old 05 Jul 2008, 06:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's possible you blew one or both of the fan relays or there's a separate fuse for the fan also. In order to help more, we need some more information about you cruiser, especially the year. Do you have an owners manual?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 07:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

It is a 2002 limited edition,with about 159k. i have the manual. I found the relays for highspeed and low. Where is that fuse though?

I am off to the parts store today at noon to buy a relay, unless there is a way to test it.

thanks for all the help.

Last edited by ironwill22; 05 Jul 2008 at 07:15 am.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 07:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, the picture below is what the fuse box looks like in the engine compartment (only it's 180 degree backwards). The Number #5 fuse (40 amp) is for the fan.

All the square relays (A thru F) are the same type so you can use the Horn relay to test the High Speed fan relay but there's no other relay like the Low Speed Relay to check that out.

Most people that had the fan stop working found out that the fan motor itself was burnt out, not the fuse or relays.
If your a do-it-yourself type, you can jack the front of the car up and check out the fan motor by pulling apart the electrical connection to the fan and applying a hot and negative wire to the fan to see if it comes on. If not, it's probably the fan motor that is bad. You can see the fan electrical connection in the picture below. You push the red tab at the top of the connection to the right to be able to disconnect it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jul 2008 at 08:42 am.
Old 05 Jul 2008, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin, you are a wealth of information!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Jul 2008, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ernie,

You know that 95% of the questions asked are ones we've seen before. I have the Haynes manual for the pictures plus I've run into some of the problems myself so I keep a file stuffed full of helpful pictures in Photobucket and as I said, for information, we've run into most of this stuff before.

What I do need is a picture of the new fuse compartment from the 06-08 cruisers with information as to what all the 37 fuses are for. As you know they no longer have the interior fuses on the new models. I'll have to get a hold of a new owners manual.

Old 05 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can take a hint, I'll try to send the info to you.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Jul 2008, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got em. Thanks!

Old 05 Jul 2008, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

aha, the fan only works when the ac is on! what does that mean? sensor?

thank you