Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
just fixed my a/c problem - i think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2008, 05:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cool just fixed my a/c problem - i think

my a/c was blowing warm even with the low-side line felt cold to the touch. per this forum, i checked all the switches, the a/c relay (in the master fuse panel), and the blending door/actuator. everything checked out. i noticed the compressor was clicking/cycling on and off quickly. i added a 3/4 can of r134 and all is well - so far. there is obviously a leak somewhere. i'll keep you posted to how long this charge actually lasts.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 06 Jul 2008, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: just fixed my a/c problem - i think

Congrats. Isn't there a red die that you can add to the low side to help you find the leak? You can also take it to one of the auto places that specialize in AC work and they might help you find it for free because they want your business in case you need new parts and the labor to go with it. It might be a matter of just tightening something up or be a lot harder like a small hole in the condenser which you'd have to have a professional do it anyway.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2008, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats !! let us know if & when you find the leak !!
Old 08 Jul 2008, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

found a/the leak!

looks like one of my low side hoses (the very top one) is leaking. see pic.

the weird thing - is my a/c is still cold after adding a "can" of r134a --- and that's in 2 days of 105 temps!

we'll see how long this line holds. if it totally fails, [the good news] is that it looks to be easy to replace. however, i'll leave the vacuuming and recharging of the system - to a professional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak1.JPG (39.4 KB, 37 views)
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats !!
Old 04 Aug 2008, 06:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

update: the leak has worsened. after recharging, i can here hissing between the rubber and crimped metal part of the hose. r134a oil spots are all over our driveway.

the dealer quoted me $235 labor and $75 for the line. i am very frustrated since the car has less than 40,000 miles. this should not have happened.

btw: the turbo went out at 25,000 miles.

even though this car was assembled in mexico, my confidence in american car build/engineering quality is fading rapidly.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 09:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

No one enjoys the failure experience--you, me not any of us.

The failure you are suffering with is not mileage related. The hose, made of some from fo rubber based material, has a shelf life--your vehicle is an 2003 so that would place it in the five year age catogery. Add a year or more for sitting in the production line and you have a six year old hose. It is the low side but still it is subjected to higher pressures and a very caustic fluid--much more than the old R-12 that the "hug a tree" group forced out. Judging from the ambient temperature you mentioned--that hose has had a fairly long and tought life.

You're probably on the short side for an AC hose failure but on average six to 8 years for a failure in the AC system is not that unsual. That applies to the vehicles with the US flag, Rising Sun or Double Eagle--

You have saved a bit of money with the R-134 system as the tax on R-12 puts a pound of R-12 in the range of $90.
Old 05 Aug 2008, 10:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppt03turbo View Post
update: the leak has worsened. after recharging, i can here hissing between the rubber and crimped metal part of the hose. r134a oil spots are all over our driveway.

the dealer quoted me $235 labor and $75 for the line. i am very frustrated since the car has less than 40,000 miles. this should not have happened.

btw: the turbo went out at 25,000 miles.

even though this car was assembled in mexico, my confidence in american car build/engineering quality is fading rapidly.
accidents happens, maybe it was a dud line or something, i'd just be happy it wasn't more money

Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: just fixed my a/c problem - i think not

all -

here's a follow up:

$417 was the "out the door" repair cost to replace my leaking low-side line at normadin chrysler here in san jose, ca.

it was a 2-1/2 hour "book" job. apparently, some of the turbo's plumbing needed to be removed to get to the line at the compressor. i believe this was the case, because i removed the splash guard and took a look under the car (before taking it to the dealer). there was NO WAY i could have snaked a tool near the compressor. as a matter a fact, i absolutely could not see where the line bolted into the compressor (at any viewing angle) --- that's how tight the tolerances are between components.

FYI/TIP: i was able to knock off 5% on parts and 5% on labor using my AAA card. If you have a AAA card, it would be worth your while - to ask if you can use it towards your repair bill.

Last edited by pppt03turbo; 20 Aug 2008 at 06:26 pm.