PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
To trade up PT's for MPG's or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2008, 08:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Post To trade up PT's for MPG's or not?

Hey Mopar Brethren,

Been wondering if you should give up your PT for a more fuel efficent vehicle? The results might shock you. I'm not looking to trade up, but I found this easy calculator on Edmunds.com to help you make the FINANCIAL part of the decision.

Go here:

Gas Mileage Savings Calculator: Car Cost vs. Fuel Savings

For me, driving 1,600 miles per month it would take me 13 years to START saving money over buying a USED 2004 VW Jetta TDI Wagon!

No thanks, I'll keep my 26-28 MPG PT!

Happy Calculating!

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find

Last edited by THS_Cruiser03; 08 Jul 2008 at 08:51 am.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 10:06 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: To trade up PT's for MPG's or not?

Wow. It told me there is no advantage to trading it in for a new HHR.
I knew that.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, so much for trading in my PT for a new Corvette Z06

You will not save any money by trading in your current vehicle for the fuel-efficient vehicle you have selected.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 05:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

And remember to that as soon as you drive your new fuel efficent vehicle off the lot, you just lost 4 grand on it even if it burns rice.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 12:10 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm actually starting to get decent milage now that the engine is breaking in. Ever since 5,000 mile mark, no tank lower than 24 MPG. Trip to the ocean this week netted 27MPG with about 340 miles on the tank. That's much more acceptable for a car this size. Especially for someone that drives like he stole it. The switchbacks along the ocean are awesome with the coilovers and swaybars installed.

Last edited by lakersfan1; 11 Jul 2008 at 12:12 am.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 11:47 am
Cool Cruiser

If you trade down it would give a savings, except that you'd likely lose money on whatever the PT depreciated. I'm thinking of picking myself up a Suzuki X-90 4x4 for my winter car/driver. It would get me 30mpg, I can lift it and go wheeling with a bunch of trucks in the area, and it saves wear and tear on my PT. I bought my PT as a DD but I don't like the abuse it has to take. I alternate between doing housemoving and liquid manure injection. House moving I get into the car all sweaty, dirty, and sometimes covered in grease, manure injection I'm covered in... well you can figure it out! Also I'm always hauling stuff in the car, and marking up the interior.

I figure about $3500 for a 4x4 that gets better mileage and being able to keep my PT for weekends and trips would be a win - win situation for me.

Ben

P.S. Also if I'm not destroying the interior I might check out upgrading a bit. Give Mr. Mikes a call maybe!
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 13 Jul 2008, 08:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok I would have to agree that it takes a very long time to recoup the fuel savings,,Ive been considering it for 6months! One car that may make sence is a Dodge Caliber-its MPG is at least 5MPG better & you for now are locked at $2.99 gas for 3 years & almost zero maintence,,,,, about 1K per year savings between fuel and better MPG,,but insurance would increase,,its tough,,,even a new TDI VW would take years at 40+ MPG considering diesel is $1.00 per gallon to start,,( A FREE CAR WOULD BE THE ONLY WAY I FINALLY CALCULATED) agree? {{{THE PT value is just way too low once its 5years old}}} Drive it till it rest at 200K!!!!
Old 13 Jul 2008, 09:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It was my wife's idea to give my PT to my son and for me to buy a hybrid. Bought an '08 Camry thats rated 33/34 mpg. I'm getting around 38 mpg and usually get right at 500 miles on a tank. According to the calculator, it will take me 366 months before I break even. Whats that, 30 years??? I'll be 84 and the Camry will have over 400,000 miles on it. Oh well, I told her it didn't make financial sense but did she listen? Nooooooooooooo
Old 14 Jul 2008, 04:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

OK HOW can Toyota make a 2.4 engine that gets 30+ MPG??? How does it run(forget MPG) compared to the PT?? Anyway good luck with it!
Old 14 Jul 2008, 05:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
OK HOW can Toyota make a 2.4 engine that gets 30+ MPG??? How does it run(forget MPG) compared to the PT?? Anyway good luck with it!
Don't know how but they did. Gas engine has about 147hp; battery motor has another 45hp. When you accelerate, the car will take off. Has the CVT transmission so that sounds a little weird.