PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Anyone have info on this car? V8 RWD PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2008, 11:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone have info on this car? V8 RWD PT

Wouldn't you be able to use the tunnel for the exhaust? I would think if the engine bay is large enough it would be doable, but a different front clip would have to be grafted in and a different rear setup. The firewall also has a cutout for the catalytic converter, not sure if that would be enough space for a tranny. I really doubt it could be done without moving the firewall.

I wouldn't want a V6 setup as there's no headroom with that, it's just an engine that's it. All you could probably get in there is the 3.8 and that doesn't have much power. It also can't stand up to turbocharging, Dodge tried in early years and their test results were, "the engine blew itself apart at moderate amounts of boost." The 3.5 is a better engine but is extremely wide, I wouldn't expect it to fit.

The reason I'd like a V8 is largely due to the physics of a RWD car. It will naturally hook up better and be quicker. I'm sure that people have also explored the option of an AWD setup swapped out of a Caravan too. I suspect that setup would be too weak if putting say 300HP down.

Just dreaming...

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 19 Jul 2008, 07:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would like to order the orange 2 door ,with matching seat color
Old 19 Jul 2008, 10:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
Wouldn't you be able to use the tunnel for the exhaust?

You need space for an exhaust AND a driveshaft in a RWD though.

A conventional V6 FWD setup would actually fit just fine since the V-arrangement of the cylinders actually makes the engine less wide (only the width of a 3 cylinder engine) and we have enough room for a little wider engine. But the Chrysler V6 engines are hardly performance engines, and pretty much all come with automatics in FWD. Who wants a portly engine with a slush-box? The turbo-4 just makes more sense.
Old 01 Aug 2009, 02:52 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm a chevy guy myself but love my cruzzer. I've always wanted to stuff an LS2 supercharged into a cruzzer with RWD and a T6060 tranny
Old 01 Aug 2009, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Vengence Send a message via MSN to Vengence Send a message via Yahoo to Vengence

um, then you guys should stomp the crap out of my friend because he put a 08 Chevy Cobalt Engine in his Cruiser. he likes it but idk if i would do that.
I got HID 6000k and 8000k Headlights on my 2001 PT Cruiser and they do what they are meant to do and 100% Legal if alligned properly. Any questions about my 2 PT's or a list of modifications on both Cruiser then e-mail me. vengence991@yahoo.com.
Old 01 Aug 2009, 05:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
um, then you guys should stomp the crap out of my friend because he put a 08 Chevy Cobalt Engine in his Cruiser. he likes it but idk if i would do that.
another 4 banger?? psh. why would you switch from 150 hp, or 210 turbo , to the cobalts engine? the only reason you would like it like that is if it were the turbo cobalt it might be quick then but still an LSX type engine would be best for any kinda application
Old 02 Aug 2009, 07:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Talking Re: Anyone have info on this car? V8 RWD PT

Hey their cleverklutz,

Its been done a few times. It is a bit pricey but has been done, and done pretty well. Their is a guy Don Tassin up here with the PT Cruisers of Orange County that has done a 426ci HEMI PT RWD. Its a beast for sure, and he did it like a sleeper too. He says he has never dared to open her up and see what she will do, and can't say I blame him. It does sound like it should though, and came with a $70,000 price tag so the story goes. Here is a couple pic's of his.

Then here is Terry and Patsy Beaty from Cleavland TN, and their Hemi out of an 04 Dodge Ram.

Then their is the Decoma Int'l Viper v10 Pickup that Crewzin mentioned. On this one, they did a total tubular frame and then had to modify the firewall, and also push the stock grille out to make it fit. Here is a good photo of the grille modification.

Nick Gavriles, owner of Automotive Innovations located in Michigan, built two PT's both with 427 Hemi Crate Motors. One with a PTeazer Panal Kit, and Wide Body Kit on it (Pictured) for a customer, and another for himself. Note the PTeazer smoothie front facia too with modified grille to allow for clearance.

And then we have these guys who I am thinking might not be quite stock either...

That last one I am kinda partial to, as the color kinda calls out to me! I got a few more around somewhere, but that is several of em anyways.

Go easy, and as always, if you ever decide to turn dreams into reality, I want a pic!

Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 02 Aug 2009 at 07:07 am.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 01:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
This is exactly how I would do it. Nice and clean without shouting "LOOK AT ME!" I really like the wheels on that car too. $70k sounds like a lot for that conversion though.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.
Old 04 Aug 2009, 11:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man View Post
This is exactly how I would do it. Nice and clean without shouting "LOOK AT ME!" I really like the wheels on that car too. $70k sounds like a lot for that conversion though.
it does sound like a lot. do it yourself if you have fabrication experience and save some. but still, it weighs very little, and with tiny tires in the back I'ld be afraid to let it rip for fear of killing myself. but who knows maybe it could be stable
Old 05 Aug 2009, 08:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted_cruzzer View Post
it weighs very little, and with tiny tires in the back
Stock Cruisers weigh ~3100 lbs. Add in a V8 and differential, you're probably close to 3500lbs, if not more. That's pretty much the going rate of any stock muscle car. That blue one looks to have some decently-wide tires on it too (go check out the different drag racing classes that limit you to 10.5" or less in width if you think you need 15" wide tires to hook up). The thing I would be a bit leary of is the short wheelbase.
2002 PT Cruiser
N/A 2.4L/5-speed
Modifications: Boogers, Maddog 80% STS, Auto throttle body, Airbox modifications, Eibach Pro springs, Energy Suspension control arm bushings & motor mount inserts, disabled balance shafts.
1989 Caprice Wagon
307/auto
Modifications: Lowered 2" front and rear, flat black paint, emblems and trim removed and filled, pinstriping, big 'n little tires.