Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Cruiser PWR Window Problems. Help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2008, 10:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Cruiser PWR Window Problems. Help!!

2003 Pt Cruiser with center dash power (4) window control switch.

Hello all, I'm having some real problems with my power windows. I seem to have more trouble with the passenger side power window than the others.

At first I thought it may have been the heat causing the switch to overheat and "shut down", but after waiting up all night and trying it again, it still doesn't work. Cleaning the switch with condensed air didn't help either.

After some online research, I replaced the switch, which was pretty expensive and I still have the problem. Both switches won't roll up the window and both will make noise when pressed.

I looked in my repair manual, and while it says to check the fuse, I wasn't able to find the corresponding fuse under the dash or under the hood. So I pulled them all, and all of them are in good working order.

My problem: The window seems to roll down fine, but when you push the button up the switch makes a funny noise and the window doesn't move. It's really sporadic and just works when it want's to. It's been two days since it moved. When the passenger window doesn't work and the button makes noise, it will also affect all other windows...making the same sound no matter which button is pressed.

I'd hate to take it to my local dealership, they have a horrible service record and everyone that's been there seems to have their own horror story.

Where could I find the fuse? The repair manual doesn't list the location, neither does the fuse box cap under the dash or under the hood.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Cruiser PWR Window Problems. Help!!

Welcome to the forum.

If you had a fuse problem, I don't think you'd be hearing any noise.

There is a module in the center of the dash behind the air vents but usually when it starts to fail you have problems with key fobs and door locks.

I Googled your problem and came up with two answers. One one to replace the switch itself, which you already did, and the other was a trip to the dealer for a computer flash. Not sure why that help but apparently the computer has something to do with the window controls.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Slayer213, Welcome to the Forum!!

Maybe if you filled in your profile, some one could send you to another dealer that is better than the one you have been dealing with.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Jul 2008, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I've been lurking the forum for awhile now I just haven't had the time to chat.

I'm not sure what Key fobs are, but my (used) model didn't come with power locks.

It's a really strange problem, it's so sporadic it's driving me nuts. I got a call from the wife and she finally got the window to go up, but an inch still remains open.

I was also thinking about buying a computer code reader, I see they run from $50-$100 which is probably the amount the dealership would charge anyway. I'm not sure if it would even tell me anything useful.

Anybody know the exact location of the power window fuse on an 03?

Me & my PT reside in Fresno, Ca
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hi, i have an '05 pt and last night , the windows wouldnt roll up or down, and my ac blower isnt working, compressor kiks on and all but no blow. ok ive chkd all fuses under dash and hood , i replaced 1 relay under hood in fuse box ..its raining!!oh also the air bag light is now costantly on, weird and wett!!!any suggestions??????????
Old 05 Feb 2012, 12:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 03 Cruiser PWR Window Problems. Help!!

TALKING GOAT Well I'm seem to be having the same problem. I didn't actually looks to see when this was posted, so who knows if you even still have the car. But I have been researching for about 4 hours now and on more than one occasion I have found this solution 2001 PT Cruiser - blower and power windows stopped - FixYa The one about the wires. I am going to try it tomorrow and I'll let you know the results. If you have found a solution other than this one, please let me know. Thank you. Nicole.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 01:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer213 View Post
2003 Pt Cruiser with center dash power (4) window control switch.

Hello all, I'm having some real problems with my power windows. I seem to have more trouble with the passenger side power window than the others.

At first I thought it may have been the heat causing the switch to overheat and "shut down", but after waiting up all night and trying it again, it still doesn't work. Cleaning the switch with condensed air didn't help either.

After some online research, I replaced the switch, which was pretty expensive and I still have the problem. Both switches won't roll up the window and both will make noise when pressed.

I looked in my repair manual, and while it says to check the fuse, I wasn't able to find the corresponding fuse under the dash or under the hood. So I pulled them all, and all of them are in good working order.

My problem: The window seems to roll down fine, but when you push the button up the switch makes a funny noise and the window doesn't move. It's really sporadic and just works when it want's to. It's been two days since it moved. When the passenger window doesn't work and the button makes noise, it will also affect all other windows...making the same sound no matter which button is pressed.

I'd hate to take it to my local dealership, they have a horrible service record and everyone that's been there seems to have their own horror story.

Where could I find the fuse? The repair manual doesn't list the location, neither does the fuse box cap under the dash or under the hood.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
For whatever it's worth, the driver side window in my '03 turbo went out under warranty. The dealer replaced the motor and window mechanism (which I felt was the "shotgun approach" at the time). I don't know about Chrysler, but I've personally seen several window motor failures. I had to replace one in my '83 T-bird. The motor itself was fine, but the little nylon gears were chewed all to crap. The worst part was that Ford put dimples in the door frame where the bolts were, but didn't drill the holes. I had to drill two 1" holes in the frame before I could get the motor out.

If you've replaced the switches and they are getting power, then you need to pull the door panel and see if the motor is getting power.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 01:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer213 View Post
Thanks guys, I've been lurking the forum for awhile now I just haven't had the time to chat.

I'm not sure what Key fobs are, but my (used) model didn't come with power locks.

It's a really strange problem, it's so sporadic it's driving me nuts. I got a call from the wife and she finally got the window to go up, but an inch still remains open.

I was also thinking about buying a computer code reader, I see they run from $50-$100 which is probably the amount the dealership would charge anyway. I'm not sure if it would even tell me anything useful.

Anybody know the exact location of the power window fuse on an 03?

Me & my PT reside in Fresno, Ca
The code reader just reads diagnostic codes from the computer, and doubt there are any for the basic electrical stuff like windows. All you need is a voltmeter to see if power is getting to where it should.